Stone Glacier SKY 5900 Concerns

So I currently have a MR beartooth 80 that I ran on 1 back country 8 day hunt . And 1 time on a truck hunt for 10 days . And I was just not a fan of not having a open top .

So the stone glacier sky 5900 has me super intrigued . However I have my concerns .

1. How many days can I get out of this pack realistically I'm guessing 10-12 days my kit is pretty minimalistic and lightweight over all the only factor is food . I did 8 days on my beartooth which is 700 cubic inches less space roughly .

2. I only archery hunt I never rifle hunt just not my thing I love archery hunting so super late season isn't very foreseeable unless I decide to suffer the suck and pick up a October rifle tag but take my bow for mulies. But I'm wondering how the bow rides on the Sky 5900 with that front horseshoe pocket .

3. I have been debating between the 5900 and the 7900 as the 6400 doesn't tickle my fancy as far as side zip. The 6900 isn't off the table either. But for what I do mostly 8-12 day hunts in fairly good weather . I know I'll fill the extra space if I have it on a bigger bag . And other then like a Alaska caribou diy hunt i don't know if space will be a issue with some weather specific clothes for Alaska.

So do i bite the bullet and get the big 7900 or 6900 , or do I stick with the 5900 since I'm thinking it will fit most of my needs for 90% of situations and then improvised or get just a bag only options for the once in a blue moon 12-14 day hunts.

I know this was alot of information and questions but hopefully someone has some insight on one or all of these .

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the 5900 after trying the MR beartooth. I mainly do 5-7 days and the 5900 works well. I wish I would have bought the 7900. The thing I like about the SG's is the ability to cinch things down super low profile for day trips.

The bow rides very well on the back. Yes, you have to remove it to access the small zipper on the beaver tail of the pack, but it's not that hard to reattach.

If I were to do it over, I'd get the 7900.

sivart

WKR
I generally don't go over 6 days, and mostly 3 days. That 5900 is perfect for this. For more days you'll need more food. That extra food can easily go in the load shelf. I usually set up a spike camp, so I prefer a little smaller bag when day hunting from it. So I would vote for the 5900, personally.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
If truly going out for more than 6-7 days then likely you would appreciate more space - really, it depends on time of year and size of your kit. If you need a certain size pack 90% of the time that’s probably an okay approach, and use a larger bag when needed if you’re okay having multiple. But all the SG packs compress well enough that you could easily do everything with a bit larger bag.

I’d probably consider doing a 6900 along with a solo bag or similar sized for 1-3 days? Doing everything with a 5900 works really well though.

OP
Bergy-Bowsmith
I bought the 5900 after trying the MR beartooth. I mainly do 5-7 days and the 5900 works well. I wish I would have bought the 7900. The thing I like about the SG's is the ability to cinch things down super low profile for day trips.

The bow rides very well on the back. Yes, you have to remove it to access the small zipper on the beaver tail of the pack, but it's not that hard to reattach.

If I were to do it over, I'd get the 7900.
yeah im not to worried about having to remove the bow to access the front zip, like you said not that difficult.

and i figured 5-7 days would be the sweet spot for the 5900. but being a minimalist, im hoping i could squeeze 10 out of it.

*zap*

WKR
these packs fold down so good to tuck away unused space .. I use my sky6200?(older model) for day whitetail....

atmat

WKR
I think the 6900 is a better bag than the 5900 personally, and they all compress down to roughly the same size for day use anyway.

If you do need more space, you can toss things in a dry bag or other bag and use the load shelf to carry it. It’s not ideal but I’ve done that to carry food/camp supplies when we’re camping in a ways. Then I can drop it all and just keep my bag.

OP
Bergy-Bowsmith
If truly going out for more than 6-7 days then likely you would appreciate more space - really, it depends on time of year and size of your kit. If you need a certain size pack 90% of the time that’s probably an okay approach, and use a larger bag when needed if you’re okay having multiple. But all the SG packs compress well enough that you could easily do everything with a bit larger bag.

I’d probably consider doing a 6900 along with a solo bag or similar sized for 1-3 days? Doing everything with a 5900 works really well though.
I don't mind losing a little space my kit is very streamlined to what I need and don't need. I don't bring very much if any non necessities except my cans of snuff.

the 6900 is certainly a option, it would be a easy way to put high access items in one side pocked , camp in the other pocket, and then spotter in the main bag along the zipper for quick access.

vs with the 5900 I planned on doing high access items in the beaver tail pocket , camp favoring the left side of the main bag when opening the panel, and spotter favoring right side.

atmat

WKR
I don't mind losing a little space my kit is very streamlined to what I need and don't need. I don't bring very much if any non necessities except my cans of snuff.

the 6900 is certainly a option, it would be a easy way to put high access items in one side pocked , camp in the other pocket, and then spotter in the main bag along the zipper for quick access.

vs with the 5900 I planned on doing high access items in the beaver tail pocket , camp favoring the left side of the main bag when opening the panel, and spotter favoring right side.
What do you use the lid for? That’s another high access pocket for me.

Ram94

WKR
I too went from a Beartooth to the Sky 5900 and couldn’t be happier. The XCurve rides so well and the horseshoe zip with top load is kickass. I’ve done 10 days with the 5900 and likely could’ve added another day of food.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
these packs fold down so good to tuck away unused space .. I use my sky6200?(older model) for day whitetail....
I asked the same question when considering a 5900 or 6900.

What zap said is spot on. I went 6900. The bigger pack will just have a little bit more fabric that you can tuck away and never know it's there until you need it. My 6900 functions most of the time as a perfect day or overnight pack, but when I occasionally need the space, it's there.

OP
Bergy-Bowsmith
What do you use the lid for? That’s another high access pocket for me.
two options for the lid.

1: water storage depending how full the main bag is.
2: extra food storage.

i dont use the lid for high access items typically, not to say i never do but ive found with these bigger lids that the more i can fill them to the max fills them out from sloppily riding along for the ride, its also a good place in my opinion for any water as its quick to take the lid off to refill i usually also put my TP in there. gotta be prepared for when nature calls.

atmat

WKR
two options for the lid.

1: water storage depending how full the main bag is.
2: extra food storage.

i dont use the lid for high access items typically, not to say i never do but ive found with these bigger lids that the more i can fill them to the max fills them out from sloppily riding along for the ride, its also a good place in my opinion for any water as its quick to take the lid off to refill i usually also put my TP in there. gotta be prepared for when nature calls.
Got it. So my take is that the two side pockets on the 6900 when the giant main zip is more conducive than the single side pocket and front pocket of the 5900.

I also appreciate the little “pocket” on the bottom of the bag — I stick my tripod feet in it when I strap it down.

Plus you overall get more size for basically same weight.

OP
Bergy-Bowsmith
I asked the same question when considering a 5900 or 6900.

What zap said is spot on. I went 6900. The bigger pack will just have a little bit more fabric that you can tuck away and never know it's there until you need it. My 6900 functions most of the time as a perfect day or overnight pack, but when I occasionally need the space, it's there.
yes the 6900 looks stellar i almost feel like its not a terrible idea for me to get the 5900 and then get a 6900 or 7900 later for when i absolutely need more space. like i mentioned i did 8 days in my beartooth and its quite a bit smaller then the sky 5900 and doesn't have a open top.

OP
Bergy-Bowsmith
Got it. So my take is that the two side pockets on the 6900 when the giant main zip is more conducive than the single side pocket and front pocket of the 5900.

I also appreciate the little “pocket” on the bottom of the bag — I stick my tripod feet in it when I strap it down.

Plus you overall get more size for basically same weight.
I defiantly agree the talus 6900 design is very very appealing to me. its way more appealing then the 6400 for sure. it seems like SG has really through there designs, and it makes it hard for me to pick a pack lol, the thing I like about the 6900 also over the 7900 is that its symmetrical on both sides, being a bowhunter only I wont ever have a rifle on the other side to balance out that spotting scope pocket on the 7900, so id probably use it for quick access items.

atmat

WKR
yes the 6900 looks stellar i almost feel like its not a terrible idea for me to get the 5900 and then get a 6900 or 7900 later for when i absolutely need more space. like i mentioned i did 8 days in my beartooth and its quite a bit smaller then the sky 5900 and doesn't have a open top.
I wouldn’t pay for two SG bags, personally, unless they have very dedicated uses. The reason being that they all pack down to the same size. There’s no situation where you’d need the smaller size of the 5900 over the 6900, for example.

The 6900 is a better bag with more size in my opinion. The 7900 is more than I’d ever need. So that’s how I settled on 6900.

I will say that I now have three young children. So my next bag may be a 7900 if they get into hunting.

eamyrick

WKR
I use the 6400 which seems right for the 6-7 day trips I’ve done. I have pretty light gear but food takes up space and the more days the more food space you need. I could go 10 days if I was conscious with packing.

For day and overnight trips I use the 3600 with lid. I like keeping my sit pad under the lid so I can quickly get it out and it’s usually the last thing that goes up.

Mosski

FNG
I have owned the old 45/55 SG, sky archer 6100, and now the sky guide 7900. The guide is by far my favorite. I haven't touched the other packs. It's so compressible that it's fine as a day pack. I really like the huge spotting scope pocket, fits my big spotters with a marsupial case on which I love. Also big fan of the X curve. More comfortable than the evo frame. I hunt late season mostly and can barley fit enough stuff in the 6100 for more than 2-3 days.

I am right in the middle of trying to decide which stone glacier bag to go with. Has anyone used the Col 4800 ? Also the frames, do all of you guys loving the X-curve have back profiles that are more curved than normal ? I just returned from a trip and went to Stone Glacier 's headquarters where I tried out both frame options with 45 pound sand bags (I think). For me the Krux felt better . My pack now is an old Kifaru longhunter that I originally had curved aluminum stays in. I figured out my back is flatter and bent them to fit. That made a world of difference, much more comfortable. I will probably end up with either the 5900 or sky talus 6900 for bags. my biggest problem deciding is I am not sure what my current bag capacity is, I do remember there was at least two size choices. 2005 Kifaru.

Last edited: