Compounds bow and different weather scenarios

jrc645

FNG
I’m still fairly new to bow hunting. I want a better grasp on how different weather scenarios affect a compound bow and what I should do in response. Below are several instances. Please feel free to add other scenarios. I know it’s pretty broad, I’m just trying to take in as much info as possible.

Heavy rain - should I keep it covered or does it matter?

Freezing and snow - does this affect the string and performance

Heat - does this affect string and performance

JLH208

WKR
Wax the string often and dry the bow out thouroughly after rain/snow or you will see rust. Many people forget to pull their broadheads out of the wet foam of their quiver and they will also rust. So yes, if you can keep your bow dry it saves you work later but it’s not catastrophic to let it get wet. As far as string and cables stretching due to weather or accuracy changes, I don’t know. I do know first hand that enough rain will drop your arrow more than you think, and a wet bow/arrow is louder. But in reality, shooting an animal in the rain is asking for trouble anyways because your blood trail washes away. I’d be curious to know how elevation and barometric pressure changes arrow flight if anyone here knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aelee14

FNG
Your bow will be fine when exposed to extreme weather, as Hunter1970 said wipe down and dry your bow when you are in from the field. I would say more importantly is practice shooting in rain, mild wind, heavy humidity and cold as all these will severally affect arrow flight. Also 65lbs maybe easy to draw when its 85 degrees and you are standing up, but could become very difficult on a 15 degree morning with your torso bent around a tree. Practice like you hunt when you can and prepare for those situations now.