Considering a move with family need suggestions

Marble

WKR
I’m 30 with a wife and a newborn, we currently live in NH and are considering a move to another state with lower cost of living pretty much open to any ideas right now as we are in the research phase. We currently have good schools and healthcare and a good community. Hunting is at the top of things I’d like to continue doing, but other hobbies include motorcycles and sports cars, fishing, hiking, camping, mountain biking. We like to occasionally go to the city for food and drinks. Do any of you guys live in an area that has all or most of this and can you share some suggestions on states or even more specifically towns/communities to look into?
I live in an area like you are describing. There are two things I would say about it. First, there is hunting, and it's year-round mostly for me, but it isn't great unless you get a premium tag. Second, it's in CA. Based on what I think you're looking for, it isn't CA. But I really live in a great place, minus the crazy politics.

What you are looking for exists in all of the western states. Montana is the only one I have spent time in during the last 25 years. If I were to choose, probably Idaho. Closer to family and lots of cities in various sizes and geography to choose from.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I live in Alaska currently.
Alaska is a rich man’s game now. The declining game populations are making resident hunts more difficult every year. Combine that with the cost of living up here and you’ll go broke within 24 months.

Texas - my home state but turning purple by the minute. I would go back when I retire, but due to my allergies, I cannot go back. But it is becoming Texafornia, and will not be recognizable anymore in 10 years when I retire, therefore I won’t be losing much. So sad.

Idaho - everyone is going, so land costs are skyrocketing

Oregon has lost its ever loving mind.

What’s left?
Join the military and get resident hunting rights everywhere?

Stoney920

Lil-Rokslider
Check out NW AR. Some of the best mountain biking in the country and it's only growing. However, our housing market has shot up in the past few years. I'm not sure how it compares but there's plenty of opprotunity here and checks all of your boxes.
It really sucks here, I’d look somewhere else 😜

Rich M

WKR
Definitely check the taxes. To move to a place that charges say 5% just to live there would be tough to me.

Can you afford a new home or a hefty rent?

You can pull up indeed online and see who is hiring anywhere in the country.

NH aint bad. I grew up around there. In FL and we’re projected to increase 600 new folks a day for next 30 yrs. No state tax but living prices have bumped up a bit lately.

You can check local newspapers to see grocery ads/fliers to see about those costs in areas.

Weldor

WKR
I live in Alaska currently.
Alaska is a rich man’s game now. The declining game populations are making resident hunts more difficult every year. Combine that with the cost of living up here and you’ll go broke within 24 months.

Texas - my home state but turning purple by the minute. I would go back when I retire, but due to my allergies, I cannot go back. But it is becoming Texafornia, and will not be recognizable anymore in 10 years when I retire, therefore I won’t be losing much. So sad.

Idaho - everyone is going, so land costs are skyrocketing

Oregon has lost its ever loving mind.

What’s left?
Join the military and get resident hunting rights everywhere?
Right on!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's kind of misleading when I see a place that says their median house cost is $250k and ours here is ~$450k. Then I go look at those places for something similar for what I'm looking for here, and no matter where I look it seems like the prices are the same as here. I guess a bigger house on some acreage is just similar pricing everywhere these days. I should have been looking 10 years ago.

jimh406

WKR
It’s unclear what colors the states are. Many people seem to be understanding they were mislead for the past decade or so. In any case, there will be a lot of movement over the next few years as people adjust to the reality made clear by twitter/x and that the utopia doesn’t exist.

I think climate and overall economy makes sense for a young person. There are only a few states that have really bad hunting. Sure, you might not have all species, but there is some species to hunt in most states.

Otherwise, if you want the most variety, it’s probably Montana or Wyoming. But, you can live somewhere else and travel to those locations.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It’s unclear what colors the states are. Many people seem to be understanding they were mislead for the past decade or so. In any case, there will be a lot of movement over the next few years as people adjust to the reality made clear by twitter/x and that the utopia doesn’t exist.
I think it was around the 2016 election time, and there was a website out where you could answer a bunch of questions, and then they'd show a map where like-minded people concentrated. Mine showed an area around the border of southern OK and northern TX northeast of Dallas as the most conservative area in the country. Too bad they have humidity there. That's a deal-breaker.

I see this kind of attitude from people that live in Oregon pretty often. If it’s that bad, why not move?

Give me a couple years, let the last kid get done with school, and we’re out.

We’ve been researching our exit for years.

Freaks and libs have been running the show for decades and the trajectory is getting worse. Oregon is a national laughingstock for its management.

Where were you 37 years ago? That’s the last time Oregon had a Republican governor.

And don’t get me started on Oregon’s PERS, which currently sits at $28 billion in the hole.

Billion, with a B.

“As of this year, the PERS fund's unfunded liability — which means the amount of money it has on hand versus what it would need in order to pay out every worker covered by the fund if they retired today — has piled up to roughly $28 billion.”

Oregon is legally required to pay it, so who do you think is on the hook? Taxpayers. Oregon is already one of the worst states for retirees, as well as young families.

It‘s bad and getting worse.

P

Last edited:

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I've only hunted only public here for about 16 years now. If anyone can't find animals on public they're just lazy.
Yes, hunting the public land is ok. When you want to go and roam in your 4wd and explore the state off pavement and county roads TX is not the place. I was in Big Bend last week and that is one of the few areas.

Oregon

WKR
I see this kind of attitude from people that live in Oregon pretty often. If it’s that bad, why not move?
Well, if you live in a large town in Oregon AND watch the news, it is doom and gloom.

If you live in a small town and don't watch the news(like myself) it's a phenomenal place.
I can find something to do (hunting/fishing) within 20 miles of my house every single day of the year. I'm surrounded by like minded people in my town. The key to appreciating Oregon is simple.
1. Turn off TV
2. Stay the hell out of the Willamette valley.