Cooking set up for 3 man 5 day backpack hunt

Hey all,
I’m looking for some basic advice on getting a cooking set setup for a 5 day back pack hunt for 3 guys. Looking f at a BRS vs firemaple stove and trying to figure out what size pot. Looks like we’ll have to do at least 2 boils per meal for food and coffee for 3 people. Any advice on set up for this many people? 750ml and boil twice, 1.6 or larger and boil once? Thanks for any and all wisdom!

rcb2000

WKR
Like others have said, better for all to have their own.
The only other thing I’d suggest is two ppl share a Msr reactor in the larger size, only if you just use to boil water.

TaperPin

WKR
If you are only boiling water for freeze dried meals, instant coffee, etc it’s not hard to do with one pot. A 1-1/2qt to 2qt pot with lid boils fast on a stove like a whisper light. 2qt sounds big, but the wider shape heats faster, not to mention on a cold night, that extra hot water in a water bottle down in the bottom of a sleeping bag is well worth it. The weight difference between 1.5qt and 2qt is minimal.

I wouldn’t trust a stove other than a whisperlight to be the only one, but that’s me.

If anyone has the idea of using the pot for something other than water, then they need their own stove and pan.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Have each person bring a BRS, small isobutain canister, and 500 to 750 ml cup.

Wider pots are more efficient, but harder to balance on small canister stoves.

You also have back ups if someone's stove breaks. Each person's pot is also their coffee cup. Boil water for meal, then make coffee while meal sits.

I use Toaks pots, but Fire Maple and plenty of others will work, to include old GI canteen cups.

rayporter

WKR
a large pot and coffee pods will let everyone have coffee. just boil them for a few minutes.
8054fe6bc5372700f8d8e98bee853c2441.jpg

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I use an MSR reactor 1.7L for solo trips on up to 3 guys. We are just boiling water and everyone gets half a liter per boil for their dehydrated/freeze dried meals. Beyond that a second stove would be good for redundancy, splitting up, etc.