Cooper Model 52 or 92 - which would you choose???

bertsch

FNG
I'm going to buy a new .300WM rifle for long range hunting capabilities and I've narrowed it down to a Cooper but I can't decide between the Model 52 and Model 92. The Model 92 weighs 2lbs less which is really attractive to me but I'm just wondering if there is some other downside that I'm not considering. I reload and accuracy is probably more important to me than anything else. If the price of these two rifles was the same, which would you choose and why?

If it makes any difference, I plan to put a Leupold VX6-HD 4-24x 52mm scope on it.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Had both, I️ see zero reason to pack the two extra pounds. I️ have shot the 92 out to 1500 yards lots of times. Yes, it can be a little less forgiving at long range but with practice you can get deadly with this little rifle at extended range. I️ have one in 7rm and the recoil is decent. A 300WM will be a little worse.

d404c56d7e2c3f36842c89c90aa13a60.jpg

Wife’s buck at 360 yards with the 92
00c0b7c62052c50e276de876e35e9345.jpg

440 yards with the 92
bf8a2280d28df07a706b7b5c7eeef985.jpg

Wife’s bear, 50 yards with the 92

OP
B

bertsch

FNG
Thanks for the feedback Ryan. The 92 only comes with one style of stock, correct?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Correct, but you can order different LOP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyo_gasman

Lil-Rokslider
There is a new model coming out soon. I saw a picture on Facebook, details to come later. Also, the Model 52 Long Range is, or will be available with a Proof research barrel, it weighs 7lbs.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
There is a new model coming out soon. I saw a picture on Facebook, details to come later. Also, the Model 52 Long Range is, or will be available with a Proof research barrel, it weighs 7lbs.

It’s called the Timberline and it does have some good upgrades IMO.

OP
B

bertsch

FNG
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Model 92 with a custom LOP stock. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Let us know how she does!

My wife and I love that little 92, it’s a hammer!!

OP
B

bertsch

FNG
Does anybody know how long it takes to get a Cooper Model 92 if ordered with a custom length of pull?

3forks

WKR
I just recently received a model 92 after about a 3 month wait.

If anyone is intending to put Talley Lightweight rings on their rifle, you will possibly encounter a compatiability issue depending on when your rifle was produced.

Cooper recently changed the diameter of the holes in their receiver to accomodate a larger diameter screw to attach the bases.

However, they did not advise Talley, and as a consequence, the lightweight one piece rings will not fit a new Cooper (not certain if this is just a specific issue for all newly manufactured Coopers or just newer model 92s).

Regardless, I received excellent customer support from Talley regarding the issue (made an inquiry with Talley after receiving my rings and all their staff was at the Shot Show. Within 5 minutes, I received a phone call from someone at Talley calling me from the Shot Show to discuss the issue and propose a solution).

Besides being a great product, Talley went above and beyond to assist me. I'm not going to say Cooper did anything wrong, but the company with the $60 dollar product certainly seemed more responsive than the company with the $2500 dollar product.

Regardless, just thought I'd mention the ring issue in the event anyone is considering Talleys.

Sako76

WKR
Good call on getting the 92, I have a 52 in 30-06 and it's clubby. I handled a 92 at a gun shop and it was sweet. Good luck with the rifle.

jhm2023

WKR
I personally wouldn't choose the 52 because of the extra weight. I have a 92 in 7 mag and it routinely shoots 1/4 minute or better and is very pleasant to carry and shoot, although a bit loud (don't forget ear plugs while hunting). Now if they would just start making them in some of the Nosler cartridges like their long range rifle.