Cooper Scope Mounts

BigJoeXD

FNG
I’ve got a Cooper 92 Backcountry on the way. For those of you with Cooper’s or the 92, what have you found works best for Scope mounts? I have a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44mm to put on it.

I’m looking at either the Talley Lightweights or a Ken Farrell pic rail with Niteforce ultralite pic rings...curious to see if others have recommendations or suggestions. Have you found the need to lap the talley’s or the NF rings?

I have two model 54's and a model 52. My cooper Phoenix has a Ken Farrel 20 MOA rail on it and I paired it with a couple of "low" machine-matched Vortex rings. My Custom Classic (.243) is set up with talley bases and low Talley rings. On my Jackson Game Rifle (25-06) I had a set of leupold bases (dovetail) but switched them out with a Ken Farrel 10-MOA rail and a set of Vortex Viper "low" rings. I'm very happy with this configuration and I'm really getting to like the Ken Farrel rails. They seem to make for a very solid mount.

I know the Back Country is a bit of a different animal but if it were me, I'd put a Ken Farrel rail on it (10 or 20 MOA) and a set of low rings, as long as you have a good cheek weld and you have sufficient clearance for your scope objective. As for lapping the rings, if they are new and of good quality, I would not bother. Just use a fat wrench and follow the torque specs.

Waiting for a Cooper is AGONIZING!! I've done it 3 times. Let's see a picture of that Backcountry when you get it.

I've got a Cooper 92 on order as well and I'm putting Warne Maxima bases and Warne Mountain Tech rings on mine.

I was going to go with the mountain tech rings from warne but they weren’t out yet at the time and I just couldn’t wait any longer. I originally went with tps rings and the warne bases that came with it but the scope was still too high for me and the scope was slipping. Sent them back to TPS and it turns out they had packaged them wrong and were mediums instead of lows. Since then I move to Talley lw mounts. I had Laiers customs mill a 20 MOA into them. Never had to lap them as they were perfect from the factory. Never did figure out why the scope slipped but a heavy night force on a lw rifle may have had something to do with it. I have a 50mm objective and 30 mm tube. Clearance with the lows is pretty tight but the med Talley’s and tps rings didn’t allow for a very good cheek weld. With a 44mm objective you should have plenty of clearance

I received my 92 in January and went with Talley Lightweight rings.

Whatever you order, verify with the manufacturer that they will fit on model 92s made this year. Cooper widened the hole diameter on the 92 receivers and as a consequence, you may end up with bases that are marked correctly by the manufacturer, but don't fit on newer model 92s.

Back