Copper/Lead on public land.

BLJ

WKR

Read this article this morning. Not a real surprise to anyone I’m sure, but I thought I would post it anyway. Given the recent lead/copper thread I thought it would be something else to consider since it involves the same thing but a different angle.

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
It seems hilarious to me that someone would argue that, "it's not about lead bullets" when it clearly is about exactly that. The argument that the Man is just trying to make hunting more expensive is ridiculous. Monolithic non lead aren't significantly more expensive and in some cases are less expensive than high bc bullets. I also can't fathom a situation where the cost of the ammo is a major contribution to the overall cost of a hunt.
My conspiracy theory/political spin spidey sense is tingling and I hope all of yours is too.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

JjamesIII

WKR
What a great leader, I mean he really has his finger on the pulse of the most important issues facing America. I assume since this clown has already solved illegal immigration, economic collapse, health care reform, China/Russia diplomacy……

he can now shift his lazer- like focus on lead ammo. Wildlife refuges, and throw in schools, will be lead free zones. ✅ problem solved! Keep up the good work Joey and you’ll get sprinkles on your ice cream cone.

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
lead weights on tires put more lead out than bullets I guess the liberals will have us eating through tires next.

FLATHEAD

WKR
We have no leadership, and some blindly follow regardless.
And if Liberals are so Liberal, why are they always wanting to ban something
that other people enjoy?

Ugh, I thought they would’ve been smarter than to pick this fight when they pry should be fixing their low poll numbers and failed ideas already. Wife is going to try Barnes this year. I’d be annoyed if I had to get rid of my projectiles though!

JjamesIII

WKR
We need to save the toxic metals for EV batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly ☝️. Batteries will save the world. No heavy metals/pollutants in those. We also will be free from foreign energy dependence if we go to ev because we make so many in our country 😂

It seems hilarious to me that someone would argue that, "it's not about lead bullets" when it clearly is about exactly that. The argument that the Man is just trying to make hunting more expensive is ridiculous. Monolithic non lead aren't significantly more expensive and in some cases are less expensive than high bc bullets. I also can't fathom a situation where the cost of the ammo is a major contribution to the overall cost of a hunt.
My conspiracy theory/political spin spidey sense is tingling and I hope all of yours is too.

Supply and Demand. I'd predict if "most people" quit buying lead and all dive into the limited copper/mono products available they would not keep up which would lead to a massive spike in price till production can catch up which who knows how long that would be. What worries me is the part about not wanting hunters to shoot grizzlies in defense, a mandate for bear spray would really ruffle my feathers.

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
For the average hunter buying a interlock/eldx/gameking, a quality monolithic is double the cost. If you shoot 10 rounds a year, it is insignificant. If you shoot a lot and practice, it is not insignificant.
I see your point and would say it varies.
I recently picked up a 300prc and at least the hornady stuff is all priced within a few bucks regardless of bullet.

I suppose someone who can barely afford ammo to hunt isn't shooting a new chambering anyway.

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
Supply and Demand. I'd predict if "most people" quit buying lead and all dive into the limited copper/mono products available they would not keep up which would lead to a massive spike in price till production can catch up which who knows how long that would be. What worries me is the part about not wanting hunters to shoot grizzlies in defense, a mandate for bear spray would really ruffle my feathers.
You hit the nail on the head right here. Supply and demand.

I missed the part about the mandated bear spray. I do carry bear spray, but definitely see your point and wouldn't hesitate to save a life at the expense of a predator.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
We have no leadership, and some blindly follow regardless.
And if Liberals are so Liberal, why are they always wanting to ban something
that other people enjoy?
Because it's not what THEY enjoy or want or think. Remember those kids in HS that had to be on student council/student government? They wanted all the dances to be what they wanted, the lunch room and menu to be how they wanted it etc etc. And if you opposed them, you would suffer the wrath of the mean girls, now formerly known as Karen. It's the same group, just older and more irrational.

It will be interesting on how long it will take them to ban lead on all federal land. Not sure what you do with muzzel loaders where no sabots are allowed.

The wishlist of this administration appears endless. Just a shame that we appear to have to take the entire country to collapse to see the tide turn.

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
My earlier comment was purely based around the conspiracy idea that the point of this ban is to make ammo more expensive. It may be true that it is more expensive for some folks, but it seems far fetched that would be a reason why someone would push for a ban like this. Agree or not, but it makes sense to me that there are people who feel so strongly about protecting vulnerable species that they take it further than I would .

I'm genuinely curious where the line is drawn for folks here.Though I might regret it : ) I don't spend my time researching this stuff, but it appears to be settled science that lead in bullets was largely to blame for deaths of the Cali condor. Perhaps that's not true.

So my question is do you think the gov should ban hunting with lead in bullets in areas where condors eat the carcasses and it kills them or is it hands off my lead bullets regardless of the science and screw those birds?

Personally I've never seen a condor other than in a zoo and don't spend any time in California, but I feel like it might be the role of government to make rules to protect a vulnerable species in a situation like this.

I'm wrong a lot though and am open to other ideas and answerss to this question and am really just curious where people stand on this.

Last edited: