COUES Whitetail Milestone

Article 4

WKR
Keystone moment in my hunting life on Christmas Eve 2023 in Arizona!!!

The memories I have made over the past 20 years of chasing a trophy Coues Deer taught me so much about nature, the species, and myself.

On 12/24/23, it happened the way it should, running my Custom 6mm Creedmoor with the 115 Berger VLDH at 3090 FPS - Defiance Action, Bart Carbon Barrel at 7.5 twist, Kales K624i Scope, Atlas Bipod, Manners Stock, Trigger Tech Trigger at 1 1/2 lbs.

Glassed him at 2240 yards at 60 power with a great spotter from Zeiss. He looked good in the spotter and I had to get closer. Stalked to about 1500 and glassed him again. He looked really solid but wanted to get closer still to see if he would make the book. Made a plan to get to 900 and glassed him again. Looked better with mature features and thick antlers. Can make the shot and have, but if we can get closer, why not. Got to 500 yards and saw he had a running mate too, a smaller buck at the top of the ridge, but I couldn't find the big buck right away. Finally he showed himself walking away to the north, probably to get to a bed spot and out of the sun, it was around 9 in the morning. Then, got spotted by the smaller guy but he didn't spook.

Decided to to drop back down and circle all the way around the outside of the ridge to sneak up to a new spot. Left my friends James and Mason at the original spot to reduce our sound and silhouette and so they can watch it unfold.

Finally found a spot to approach and crawled up to a solid rest and ranged him at 493. Waited and waited trying to make sure he was the one. Then, when he turned and stood completely still and nearly perfected broadside. I settled in and made a perfect heart shot on him. He expired 10 steps away. Walked up and put my hand on him, thanking god and ensuring my gratitude was known to all.

Made the book with this excellent 5x4 buck, with 22 inch main beams and lots of mass - he scored 111 5/8ths gross. Nets are for fish. Finally got them all and proud is an understatement. Thanks to my great friend James for being there and experiencing the entire journey

Attachments

• IMG_6726.jpeg
    IMG_6726.jpeg
    651.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6732.jpg.jpeg
    IMG_6732.jpg.jpeg
    956.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6734.jpeg
    IMG_6734.jpeg
    734.9 KB · Views: 46