Got the old one I was after

mcseal2

WKR
Had a short but great rifle season. I passed 3 bucks opening night that would have outscored the one I got. They were 3.5-4.5 years old though, and I just like hunting older bucks. I had a lot of trail cam pics of this one and really wanted him. The 2nd morning he walked out of the timber a little after 7am and joined a smaller 8pt that was already out. I had my Swaro 15's on my Slik 624 with an Outdoorsmans micro pan head. I was pretty sure it was the buck I wanted, but put my Kowa 554 on the tripod to make sure. By the time I did all that I got one good look at him and then he turned his butt to me and started feeding. This was not ideal, it gave my adrenaline time to kick in and make holding anything steady more difficult. After 7-8 minutes that felt much longer, the small buck turned and trotted into the timber. The target buck turned and looked like he was going to follow him, so I had to act fast. I had him in the Huskemaw 5-20x on my old 264 win mag at 340 yards for just long enough to send a 140gr Berger on it's way. I did not hear an impact, and the buck ran to the timber and stopped behind some brush. One more step and I'd have another opportunity. I watched him for a few extremely long seconds, and he just stood there. Finally he staggered 2 steps sideways and dropped, started kicking. He had not traveled 50 yards after the shot. I decided to be safe and hiked back out to the UTV and gave him some time. When I drove the UTV back in he was right where I'd seen him kick as expected. It was a short but satisfying season. The buck isn't a giant but is an old mature deer with great character. A buck I am very happy with. Now I'm taking my nephew tomorrow night and he has already asked to borrow the 264. He isn't so dumb! I'm blessed to be able to get out and spend time watching the hills, waiting to see what might show up.

I get most of my bucks in the evening, it's sure nice to get one in the morning every now and again. I can have all the work done early enjoy backstraps and a couple whiskeys with the family in the evening this way!

Attachments

• IMG_5240.jpeg
    IMG_5240.jpeg
    815.1 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_5243.jpeg
    IMG_5243.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 443
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I agree. As I’ve gotten older and hunted longer I care more about the age class of the animal and how many years its outsmarted me than the score. I like giant racks like anyone, but its age before beauty until they have both.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I didn’t measure that, but they are close. He was only 15” wide inside.

Lytro

WKR
IMO, a buck like this is way cooler than a cookie cutter 5x5 with 20 more inches of antler.

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
Great buck! Tons of character. I'll take an older gnarly buck over a young, maybe higher scoring buck any day.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks all. I got a rough score on him last night with a tape measure and a piece of string. I have him at 154 5/8". All the extras around the bases add up. Getting ready to go rescue my nephew from school and take him out after a wide 7pt buck that I had pictures of last night, hope we get him.

Lytro

WKR
Thanks all. I got a rough score on him last night with a tape measure and a piece of string. I have him at 154 5/8". All the extras around the bases add up. Getting ready to go rescue my nephew from school and take him out after a wide 7pt buck that I had pictures of last night, hope we get him.
I'd be interested in seeing the score sheet if you don't mind posting it. Not saying you're wrong. Just curious what his measurements are because I would have been WAY off trying to field judge that deer. Unless the extras added 20".

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I don’t have it with me now. I know he had G2’s over 11.5” and bases of 6” and almost 7”. 11 6/8” of extras.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on an incredible buck. Those brow tines are fantastic and add an immense amount of character.

Lytro

WKR
I don’t have it with me now. I know he had G2’s over 11.5” and bases of 6” and almost 7”. 11 6/8” of extras.
Thanks. I was thinking close to 140 depending on mass measurements and actual tine length, so the extras you got puts him right where he actually taped at. Awesome buck!

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone.

I took my nephew last night and he got the 7 point we were after. I’ll add the story here when I have a little more time, but it was a memorable hunt.