Cougar cartridge choice

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve narrowed down my new rifle choice to three, possibly four. It’s between the .243, the 6mm creedmoor, and the 6mm ARC. With a possibility of a 300 blackout but I’m concerned about its effective range. I won’t shoot past 500. What is everyone’s experience with these calibers?

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
This is for mountain lions?

I do the 6 creedmoor. Or the 6 arc if you want better barrel life.

300 blk out would be my last choice
Yeah, I guess here in Washington we call them cougars.

How much better barrel life?

I thought as much but was curious about the blackout

Oh that’s cool. Calling cougars I assume?
The 300 blk out seems ok for a home defense round but not shooting distance in my opinion

I’ve heard the barrel life for 6 arc is 5,000 rounds. 6 cm is 1500

There is more 6 cm factory ammo out there than arc I think.

.243 and 6 cm is about the same. The 6 cm rifles have faster barrel twists to shoot heavier bullets

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Oh that’s cool. Calling cougars I assume?
The 300 blk out seems ok for a home defense round but not shooting distance in my opinion

I’ve heard the barrel life for 6 arc is 5,000 rounds. 6 cm is 1500

There is more 6 cm factory ammo out there than arc I think.

.243 and 6 cm is about the same. The 6 cm rifles have faster barrel twists to shoot heavier bullets
Yeah we can’t use dogs so we have to call. That’s why I was curious on range. In case one comes out a bit further. Or happen upon one.

How hard is finding ammo for the ARC? I saw five boxes at Sportsman’s today but wasn’t as much as 243 or creedmoor. Online have a lot?

I plan on only using two bullets. One lighter one for coyotes and a little heavier load for cougar.

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
That’s kinda why I was considering the 243 because of ammo availability

That’s kinda why I was considering the 243 because of ammo availability
Yea you can’t go wrong with .243. Lots of ammo. Around my area I see more 6 cm on the shelf than .243. But can’t go wrong with either of them.

The 6 arc was designed for gas guns. But it makes a pretty cool little Bolt gun. My step dad has one. The 6 arc shoots a few hundred fps slower than the 6 cm

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like the general consensus is the 6 creed fits my bill the best. I appreciate your guys knowledge!

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
.223 will take one down quite nicely, they are not that hardy when it comes to rifle shots.

Good luck and go get some, or one.
That was my thought and I have a rifle in .223. Unfortunately I’m in Washington and it’s not legal to use .223

Yes, its legal to use 223 for cougar in washington. But for some reason the comissioners want to remove that exception and make cougar .24 cal min for cougar like all other big game.
I shot a cougar with my .223 (64gr tgk) on november 2nd and it did a couple quick leaps and dropped dead less than 20 yards from where she was when i shot her.

GOod to go for this year. But like i said the commission wants to change that, and they generally get their way even if its irrational. So use your 223 this year, but i suspect it will be a no go next year. So as for your options you mentioned, nothing wrong with 243, great lion cartridge, and tons of options for factory ammo and factory rifles. Ive killed 2 cougs with 243, one at 5 yards, one at 20 yards, and called one in for a friend that he shot with a 243 at 204 yards. Really a perfect lion cartridge. I built the 223 to hunt them with in order to be easier on bobs or yotes i happen to call in, but its looking like i pretty muched dumped that money down the drain, and ill have to go back to hunting lions with a 243. Have a new 243 barrel should get shipped any time now, ordered on july 11th, so whatever.

OP
W

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
GOod to go for this year. But like i said the commission wants to change that, and they generally get their way even if its irrational. So use your 223 this year, but i suspect it will be a no go next year. So as for your options you mentioned, nothing wrong with 243, great lion cartridge, and tons of options for factory ammo and factory rifles. Ive killed 2 cougs with 243, one at 5 yards, one at 20 yards, and called one in for a friend that he shot with a 243 at 204 yards. Really a perfect lion cartridge. I built the 223 to hunt them with in order to be easier on bobs or yotes i happen to call in, but its looking like i pretty muched dumped that money down the drain, and ill have to go back to hunting lions with a 243. Have a new 243 barrel should get shipped any time now, ordered on july 11th, so whatever.
I sent a pm your way!

jfvhpilot

FNG
I would forget the 300 blkout. Really designed for close-in suppressed fire. Even with lighter bullets, your range is limited. The 6mm arc would be fine, especially with heavier bullets. Doesn't kick much and easy to shoot.

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
I suspect any rifle from 223 to 30 caliber will do the trick on a cougar. Now if you are like most hunters you may get 1 or 2 shots at a cougar in a lifetime. With this in mind I would get a rifle that you or your son would feel comfortable with when hunting other game. If it is a cougar/deer/elk rifle then probably 270 or larger. You can always get reduced recoil for your son until he is larger. I recently picked up a 6.5 creedmoor that I thought would be good for cougar/coyote/deer. It is a sweet shooter but it would not be my first choice for elk. I am very fond of the 308 which is a great all around caliber like the 270. The two cougars I have shot over the years was with archery gear and a 12 gauge shotgun. And neither when I was actually cougar hunting.