could use a little guidance

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a new .300 WM and though I would jump into the world of Redding type S comp dies over the RCBS dies I normally use. My question is when using new brass am I going to need a to get a stand alone die that has a expander button to get the case necks round so they can be loaded the first time? The dies I have don't have a expander on the decaping pin. I understand the reasoning, just not sure how to go about it for the first loading.

Richard

Rick

FNG
I ran my brass across the Sinclair expanding mandrel on the first load because I had it.

Now on first reload (1x fired) including running through the Type S / FL sizing die and just use the button in the Type S Comp set #36153. It has the button and decapping pin in it. Are you saying your Type S set didn't come with a button or you haven't bought one yet and aren't sure if it has one?

Extra information is I didn't shoulder bump back any on the first resizing as the brass is still a few thou short of the chamber.

OP
hntnnut

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
Correct it only came with the decaping pin. I just came across a replacement decaping pinassembly that has a "floating" expander ball made for the type S dies at Midway. It should be here Wednesday. Looks like I can install it for the first round of sizing and then remove just the sizing ball from there on out.

Richard