Country music

Plenty of good artists out there once you get off the main stream country "pop with a twang for suburban moms" radio

Here are some of the ones on my playlist

Drayton Farley
Colby Acuff
Matt Mercado (reminds me of George Strait)
Turnpike Troubadours
Treaty Oak Revival
Koe Wetzle
Cody Jinks
Warren Zeiders

Swamp Fox

WKR
They didn't need to be anything else. :)

I guess my thoughts are old school country is best, but old school rock is way better than new age country.
Molly Hatchet had a hard row to hoe in Southern rock and they did OK but prolly won't be remembered in 100 years.

There were a bunch of more distinctive bands filling that niche, not that that takes away from MH favorites.

"Old-school" rock finishes up in the early 80's at the latest for me, and "new country" pre-dates Garth Brooks by a few years, but he really kicks it into the shitter in the early 90s.

KenLee

WKR
I wouldn't recognize 80% of the singers/bands on country radio today if it weren't for my lady friend listening to some sort of music all the time. 95% of the new "country" stuff is unmoving and instantly forgettable.
Only song that has really impressed me in the last couple years is Parker Mccollum's Handle on You. The tempo is too popish, but the lyrics are spectacular. No clue how much Parker Contributed to Marty Criswell's songwriting, but that song is a winner in my book.

Never heard of this guy before... Spotify suggested this song when I opened it this morning.

I don't think it's great, but it's cool. More novelty than I'm usually into.

I wouldn't recognize 80% of the singers/bands on country radio today if it weren't for my lady friend listening to some sort of music all the time. 95% of the new "country" stuff is unmoving and instantly forgettable.
Only song that has really impressed me in the last couple years is Parker Mccollum's Handle on You. The tempo is too popish, but the lyrics are spectacular. No clue how much Parker Contributed to Marty Criswell's songwriting, but that song is a winner in my book.

I was hooked on that Parker McCollum song when I was sitting in a restaurant and in the background I heard “I tell myself that I should quit but I don’t listen to drunks.” Goddamn that’s a good line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR
I was hooked on that Parker McCollum song when I was sitting in a restaurant and in the background I heard “I tell myself that I should quit but I don’t listen to drunks.” Goddamn that’s a good line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best line in a country song in 2 decades since Whiskey Lullaby. "She put him out like the burnin end of a midnight cigarette".
I'm a sucker for Alison Krauss' voice anyway.

sitealpha

FNG
I’m not really into the mainstream, new age, country. Who are you listening to? Some of my favorites:

Sturgill Simpson
Whiskey Myers
Brent Cobb
Jamey Johnson
Cody Jinks
Childers, Stapleton, Wall

Then of course the old school guys who are always in style.

Who am I missing that I need to add into the mix?
Jamey Johnson is such a unique voice and man can he write a song. You should have seen it in color is so good. I get a lump in my throat thinking about my Army (7th Infantry Div) times and my brothers and family.