Court upholds warrants for F&W officers

180ls1

WKR
Honest question. Does this mean that if you've done nothing wrong and see a warden launch a drone that comes over your place, can you shoot it down?

When considering the law, courts and grey areas, always ask yourself "would a reasonable person do x?"

Dos XX

WKR
Sure. What if you don't have a license? To my knowledge, just wearing camo or hunter orange is grounds enough for a warden to perform a vehicle stop. How in the world is that legitimate?
That would be impersonating someone who has signed to waive their 4th amendment rights.

Dos XX

WKR
By signing a hunting license, are you waiving your 4th amendment as pertains to hunting / wildlife related crimes, or waiving them altogether?

What if a warden stops someone and they have committed no wildlife related violations but he then suspects something criminal that he wouldn't have noticed without the wildlife check? Would the discovery be legal?

Would we have a new TV series, Law & Order Parks & Wildlife?

*zap*

WKR
pretty much all state law enforcement pushes way past the boundaries because they have the state's wallet behind them. Federal agencies are even worse....cash seizures by highway patrol's are beyond screwed up and tsa is even worse.

pretty much all state law enforcement pushes way past the boundaries because they have the state's wallet behind them. Federal agencies are even worse....cash seizures by highway patrol's are beyond screwed up tsa is even worse.
I view all law enforcement with suspicion because of this. They have no reason not to push things at every chance because unions protect them from discipline and the law protects them from personal liability via qualified immunity.

dtrkyman

WKR
Keep your mouth shut!

I really haven’t had any issues with wardens over the years, most are pretty easy to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s say you’re glassing from your truck, all legal, and a warden stops, and asks to look in your cooler. You say no. What judge would grant a warrant for that?

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
This is the "Open Fields doctrine", an exception to the 4th Amendment.

Google it.

Very scary.

Let’s say you’re glassing from your truck, all legal, and a warden stops, and asks to look in your cooler. You say no. What judge would grant a warrant for that?

A reasonable person might ask why you wouldn’t want the warden to look in your cooler? Not allowing the warden a simple peek might raise some suspicion if he were to call a judge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Keep your mouth shut!

Best advice in the entire thread.
With one exception: Open your mouth to say no to a search if asked :) I had an officer ask if he could let his dog sniff in the back of my truck once. I said no, I don't see a reason for that. Checked licenses and was on his way without another word about the dog.

With one exception: Open your mouth to say no to a search if asked :) I had an officer ask if he could let his dog sniff in the back of my truck once. I said no, I don't see a reason for that. Checked licenses and was on his way without another word about the dog.
And that's what bugs me right there... If he had probable cause, he didn't need to ask to have the dog sniff. So in this case, he was just out to find something without enough cause to detain you. WTH?