Coyote ar platform

I want to build a dedicated coyote ar. I would like to build a 22-250 I think as it seems these is very popular round for the coyote.

Has anyone done this?

Looks like it can be built on a 15 or 10 platform. Need to do more research still.

satchamo

WKR
I want to build a dedicated coyote ar. I would like to build a 22-250 I think as it seems these is very popular round for the coyote.

Has anyone done this?

Looks like it can be built on a 15 or 10 platform. Need to do more research still.

I’ve used bolt 22-250 but never an AR. That said - I use 223 ARs exclusively for coyotes and have been extremely happy. 22-250 is definitely flatter than the 223 but not as economical and easy to find. Also it is going to be more expensive to build tho I don’t think it would be a huge difference.

I believe if you are building you will need to build it on an AR-10. Researching them it seems like there could be feed issues with the 22-250 AR's. I don't know if its just because of too many rounds in the magazine or if there are other issues. I would personally talk to Specialized Dynamics or SGT of Arms. See what they say about it.

If wanting to build something like a 22-250 I would do a 22 creedmoor. (which I'm doing)

Have you thought about an AR-15 in .224 Valkryie or an AR-10 in .243? More parts available for both these compared to the 22-250. Only downfall to my 243 is its HEAVY so it's basically my full-time truck gun.

B23

WKR
6x45 aka 6mm-223 AR15 build would be a nice coyote slayer. I think all the 22-250's are done on AR10's aren't they?

ALF

Lil-Rokslider
I just put together another upper for a thermal coyote gun, and did it in a 22 DTI, which is basically a 22x6.8 SPC.

Took it out on it's maiden voyage yesterday, and found 2 loads, one with the 53 Vmax, the other with 52 Bergers, both coming in a hair under 3500 in a 20" tube.

I'm impressed......

OP
F
I could just build another 223 I guess right? Most guys using that round. I have a 6.8spc but hear that will destroy the dog. I think the 6.5 grendal would destroy it also no?

B23

WKR
Have you given any thought to the new 6 ARC? Get a complete upper and put it on one of your current AR15's easy peasy and it even has factory ammo if you don't reload.

ALF

Lil-Rokslider
Have you given any thought to the new 6 ARC? Get a complete upper and put it on one of your current AR15's easy peasy and it even has factory ammo if you don't reload.
Excellent choice.....

I bought two different Aero Precision 6 ARC uppers from Brownells last year. 1st one shot so so, 2nd one was better. Killed a few coyotes with it, then sold it, and built an upper with a Shilen/Ranier Arms barrel.

This one is a f'ing hammer, 1/2 MOA with 87 Bergers at 3000.

Still waiting to pop it's cherry though.

Zappaman

WKR
I could just build another 223 I guess right? Most guys using that round. I have a 6.8spc but hear that will destroy the dog. I think the 6.5 grendal would destroy it also no?
The 6.5G (or 6.8SPC) has vamint bullets that will do ok on pelts- especially of you download them (and don't hit bone). But I use (and like) a 223 with a 40g V-max. Really, it's good to 300 yards (full load) and I have read MANY posts over the years where some download them for a little hole in, and no hole on the back side. But get a high dollar scope and you can (dial) "whatever" speed bullet in at range... as long as it's not going too fast IF using the V-max or similar frangible bullet ;)

Zappaman

WKR
22-250 can be hard on fur if that’s a concern
Just a guess here... but if going for 22-250 ranges (way out there) maybe an FMJ bullet (two small holes)?

I admit I'm not a hide hunter, but the 223 with the 40g V-max rarely leaves a hole on the back side... IF shot more than 150 yards out AND I don't hit the shoulder. Otherwise it CAN leave a baseball sized exit hole when up close.

pozzit

FNG
Just a guess here... but if going for 22-250 ranges (way out there) maybe an FMJ bullet (two small holes)?

I admit I'm not a hide hunter, but the 223 with the 40g V-max rarely leaves a hole on the back side... IF shot more than 150 yards out AND I don't hit the shoulder. Otherwise it CAN leave a baseball sized exit hole when up close.
Shot placement is key with any rifle but the 22-250 is a lot less forgiving than a 223 or 204 . Worse on thinner skinned animals such as bobcats

I’d just take a cheap 20 inch A4 upper and hack the front sight post off above the gas tube, mount a scope, and pin the upper on an A2 lower. A little spray paint and some 50gr VMAX. Doesn’t have to be fancy.

WyoHuntr

FNG
22-250 is going to be an AR-10 cartridge. Or a small-frame AR-10 (which is AR-15 sized receivers to save weight, and takes a unique barrel extension). I've never been around one, so i cannot vouche for how they feed..... which is a possible issue. Be careful because AR-10 parts are not necessarily plug-and-play like an AR-15 (different standards/dimensions). In my parts the 22-250 is very popular, since our dogs are call wise and hang up at distance quite often. (If I knew then what I know now, I would have tried to make one!).

In AR-15 the hottest rounds for coyotes will be a .204 ruger or a 22 nosler. With those small bullets, velocity is king. So, if you are hoping to get more distance, opt for the longer barrel lengths (22" or maybe more, my 20" cost me a lot of velocity on my .204).

Last edited:

JjamesIII

WKR

Has anyone done this?

Stick to a small frame ar if you are walking far on your hunts. The ar 10’s are heavier, a lot more costly and unnecessary. If a 223/5.56 is something you’re really against, go with the valkyrie. you’ll get a flatter trajectory.
I have a 22-250 bolt gun, and several large frame ar 10’s- I’m building a 5.56 for coyotes now. I found most shots are inside 200 yards. I don’t need to lug a heavy gun around for that. I’m in Ohio however, I don’t shoot across canyons. My 22-250 is still my favorite ground hog caliber. That round is like a laser to 500 yards on them without trying.

Zappaman

WKR
Ya, the Valkyrie can do close to what the 22-250 can, but in the AR-15 form factor- it's WAY lighter (and less money to build for sure too).

But the 223 was what I went with because I planned to shoot it a lot more that my other guns over time = less money and time reloading (*or paying $2 a shell for box ammo-- ya, that's what Valkyrie cost now)

My 223 has a lighter 16" barrel and a 12oz scope- it shoots 40g Vmax at 3300fps. With Kansas wind it's very good out to 200 (but you do have to know the wind at all times- hunting here... it's ALWAYS in your mind). On a rare (still) night coyote hunting, I can stretch it out to 300 with a good light (3-4" group typical).

And you can go further still with a good barrel and heavy loads with the 223. More states allow it for deer now because it can kill deer just fine out to a few hundred (*with the right bullet).

So for coyote in an AR, I'd just buy a good 223 rig (better barrel, scope) and go kill coyotes with a 40g "laser" like I do, OR a 75g long range "dog duster". I usually shoot them on the run and so for me the 40g is faster (less lead needed) and so my preference.