Coyote calling sequence/tips for may

New to predator hunting I'm in Pennsylvania. What are good calling sequences for this time of the year (may) would I just want to use pup distress with some howls? When is the best time of day/night for this time of the year?

mbania

FNG
This is just my 2 cents but here is what has worked for me in the past.
This time of years the pups will be on the ground so I like to start with some pup distress 3 and switch over to coyote threat bark howl. Ill run through a few short sequences of this. If nothing tends to respond or come in ill switch over to just a standard rabbit distress call. I tend to hunt more at day break and just before dark (night hunting has never been my thing)

I run a coyote pup call for a few minutes at medium volume. If nothing comes in I switch to rabbit distress calls.
Bad thing is this morning I called in a nice one, got him to about 30 yards before I noticed him, took a shot and MISSED. I shoot religiously so I took that miss pretty hard. He bolted probably never to be seen again. Is what it is.

My advice is DO NOT START YOUR CALL until you are up and ready! They come in fast when they do.

dmoran5

FNG
I really like to let out just a couple lone howls, I usually use a mouth call. But there are good line howls on e callers too. And then wait several minutes. Then try again. A lot of time the thought of a threat being close to a coyote pairs den will drive them mad and have them come to check it out. Then if only one comes I shoot it and start immediately into pup distress and usually the second isn’t far behind.

TheGDog

WKR
Question... I was walking in to an area for Dove on the opener. An area I know has coyotes. Seemed like once I got to a certain point where they then happened to see me, from wherever they were at.. they all Howled a bunch.

My question here is... if I'm somewhere, specifically with the intent to go after coyotes, and I hear them whoop it up like that as I'm approaching/entering the area... does that mean the jig is totally up, in terms of attempting to call to them anymore?

...OR...

In such a case, if I went in to thicker spots within the area where it would not be possible for them to see where exactly I've gone to... could I just setup my sit... and then wait some prescribed amount of time, before attempting to run the eCaller?