Predator Calling App?

j_volt

WKR
I am trying to put a hurting on some nest predators this winter, and am planning to do some den tree calling for raccoons. I might occasionally call for a coyote as well, but that is secondary. I have been looking at predator calls, and it seems like the market offerings hasn't changed a whole lot in the last 15 years. Many of the sub $200 calls have terrible reviews and look exactly like what was there when I was interested in calling coyotes in the past. However, Bluetooth speakers have came a long way in the last decade.

I got to thinking...why is a "predator call" needed? It seems that a decent Bluetooth speaker and a sound file would suffice. Has anyone gone this route? If so, what app or sound file do you like?

pirogue

WKR
I think a lot have went that route, and the result is the same as a cheap call; terrible. You get what you pay for.

TxLite

WKR
I haven’t tried calling raccoons so I’m not much help there, but you might give the Duke dogproof traps a try if that’s your main target species. They are phenomenal and catch more coons in my experience than the have-a-heart style box traps.

Most of my raccoon “hunting” has been more opportunistic while walking around at night with a thermal on my suppressed 10/22.

Coon calling is a blast! My father in law has a Foxpro (not sure of model) and when you get below the right hollow tree and hit the call they come crawling out like rats! Look for hollow trees that have good runs up to the base of the tree and lots of crap. That way you know they're using them. However, don't expect it to work on every tree. The other day we went out and in 2 hours and around 10 trees, only 1 produced.

There are 2 calls that we used and it can depend on the location and time of year. The coon in distress call can get a response from whole family groups, but the boar coons fighting sound will draw out the big boars, especially during the coon rut ~mid January forward...

If you're looking to remove coons and possums to reduce pressure on gamebirds, I agree 100% with @TxLite. Get a couple cases of dog proofs, some stakes or cable anchors, and a bag of cat food for bait. I recently found @cooncreekoutdoors on Youtube, and he has awesome videos on learning how to trap and skin for both amateurs, hobby trappers, and pros.

Good luck!

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
Thanks for the comments! I am not settled on the app/bluetooth speaker plan, so any call recs are appreciated.

I do have 30 Duke dog proofs, but I am certainly a trapping beginner so was looking to supplement the turkey preservation.

Thanks for the comments! I am not settled on the app/bluetooth speaker plan, so any call recs are appreciated.

I do have 30 Duke dog proofs, but I am certainly a trapping beginner so was looking to supplement the turkey preservation.
Anytime man and check out that guy's channel. He's located in Southern Illinois and traps a lot of timber blocks and open country.