Coyote Hunting Fur

Unckebob

WKR
First of all, I have no qualms about shooting the noxious beasts. I just don't have the opportunity to hunt them.

Question: when I read about coyote hunters, I often read that they want to preserve the pelt. Why? I have never seen any product sold as having coyote fur.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
There used to be a very popular coat made by Canada Goose (the company) that used to have coyote fur lining the hood as trim. There are also some similar knock-off brands. It made coyotes, especially pale western ones, the last hold out in the fur market after everything else crashed.

Then the green weenies got ahold of the execs at Canada Goose and they switched to fake fur to line the hoods. In my area, coyotes have not been worth much for a long time. Until the last few years, western pale coyotes were worth a pretty penny. Now there is not enough demand. Some guys I shoot with go call coyotes out west several times a year. They told me at a match this year that they used to pay for the trip and usually make money selling hides. Now they can't even get all the hides sold.

There are some fur buyers that are hopeful the market will return, but much of the fur sold historically went to China and Russia. These hopeful buyers are either buying fur at low prices and holding it until the market goes up, or they are buying fur and putting it up and selling it at the auction in Canada and taking what they can get.

Mike 338

WKR
The fur industry is international. China and Greece is big destinations for fur products. Coyote fur is mostly used as "trim" for garments. Hoods and boots often get trimmed with coyote fur. With dying and shearing these days, just about any fur can be used where once, color and length used to dictate how fur was used.

JMF

Lil-Rokslider
For a little history on the most recent, now over, fur boom. Those of us fortunate enough to have western heavy coyotes, North Dakota, eastern Montana and Alberta, can thank this photo4bbeb8f1-Sports-Illustrated-Sw_Grat-1.jpg

It created a fashion frenzy for Canada goose jackets. I talked to a rep of theirs many years ago and he said they couldn't get enough, and only wanted western heavies. A couple years ago canada goose announced they were discontinuing the use of "new" fur and would begin using recycled fur trim for their coats. The anti's were threatening their employees, showing up at their homes, so canada goose was forced to cave in for their safety. A lot of us gave them shit for it, but I can't say I wouldn't do they same if I felt my employees well being was threatened. There will be chinese nock offs to keep the market on life support, but it won't be much.

OP
U

Unckebob

WKR
i want to thank everyone for their answers to my questions.

I skin the good ones out and send them off to get tanned for my own personal use. Nothing other than hanging on the wall. I think making a massive blanket one of these days would be pretty cool