Critique My Loadout?

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning a CO 1st rifle hunt for 2020 and Im working on the daunting and extremely expensive task of putting together a lightweight but comfortable system. I think Im getting things pretty dialed in with the help of several on this forum, but I would love to hear some critiques/suggestions of what I have, and also pointers on what I might be missing. One thing that might change is the shelter. If all my buddies end up tagging along, I will be getting a Seek Outside LBO Base Tarp Base and a stove for all 4 of us. Otherwise I will be running the Lunar Solo. Any advice for me?

Backcountry Solo.jpg

UPDATED:

Here is the link to the spreadsheet
https://lighterpack.com/r/6sihqz

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard to read. Can you repost in higher resolution or link it?

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to read. Can you repost in higher resolution or link it?

Gonna show my stupidity here. I tried to upload a pdf, but it says the file size is too large and when i resize it in Preview on my mac it doesnt actually resize it. Could you possibly point me to some instructions on how to link it and where to host it? Thanks!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gonna show my stupidity here. I tried to upload a pdf, but it says the file size is too large and when i resize it in Preview on my mac it doesnt actually resize it. Could you possibly point me to some instructions on how to link it and where to host it? Thanks!

I’m desktop stupid, somewhat phone savvy. I sent you a pm with a link to my list on lighterpack.com. I’ve seen links for google docs and xcel but again not sure how those work.

The best way to go about it is lighterpack.com then post the link to it

Edit: sorry, I can’t read. Lighterpack has a custom link you can post that takes us directly to a read-only version of your particular list

Curious to see what a days worth of food looks like @ 1.25lbs. Kcal per day?

Everything else looks really good

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to see what a days worth of food looks like @ 1.25lbs. Kcal per day?

Everything else looks really good

Im still figuring out the food part. Seems like most guys are running around 1.5lbs per day, but Im not a big eater for a guy my size so I shaved it down some. Subject to change.

How much weight do you think I can save by chopping my 24" barrel down to 20"? :p

- - - Updated - - -

What is the weight of everyone's weapon system loaded with a sling? I feel like Im heavy in that department.

bsnedeker

WKR
Im still figuring out the food part. Seems like most guys are running around 1.5lbs per day, but Im not a big eater for a guy my size so I shaved it down some. Subject to change.

How much weight do you think I can save by chopping my 24" barrel down to 20"?

- - - Updated - - -

What is the weight of everyone's weapon system loaded with a sling? I feel like Im heavy in that department.
My weapons weigh what they weigh. Not an area to be shaving weight in my opinion, but I may be in the minority on that one!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
My weapons weigh what they weigh. Not an area to be shaving weight in my opinion, but I may be in the minority on that one!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah I shudder at the idea of cutting down a 300wm that short. But its not that expensive of a barrel and I also like the idea of it being more compact and manageable also. Plus the weight. lol

- - - Updated - - -

I also considered taking my 12.5" .458 Socom AR instead of the 300WM. Id be cutting my range to 200yds, but my weight would drop 3lbs and my predator defense game would take a huge jump up. :D

Last edited:
Let’s face it. If we’re having this conversation in January of 2019 and your hunt is in October 2020, this is going to snowball into you eventually buying/building a dedicated mountain rifle, so let’s not beat around it and start throwing out suggestions on the new gun. My vote is T3x. If nothing else it’ll save a good 300 Win Mag from getting neutered.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Let’s face it. If we’re having this conversation in January of 2019 and your hunt is in October 2020, this is going to snowball into you eventually buying/building a dedicated mountain rifle, so let’s not beat around it and start throwing out suggestions on the new gun. My vote is T3x. If nothing else it’ll save a good 300 Win Mag from getting neutered.

LMAO. What caliber? And can I live with you when the wife throws me out?

- - - Updated - - -

And are we talking the Superlite?
:D

tttoadman

WKR
This list seems solid. Similar to mine down the leatherman squirt.

I got rid of my sling a few years ago with no regrets. Even when I was packing a rem 700. With the tikka it is a no brainer.

I don’t see any gaters?

I really like the insulated Lowa hunters for late season. If you don’t like insulated, you may appreciate the taller Lowas at least.

The big liner? Are you packing meat in the bag or on the shelf? Don’t need a big dry bag to pack on the shelf.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
This list seems solid. Similar to mine down the leatherman squirt.

I got rid of my sling a few years ago with no regrets. Even when I was packing a rem 700. With the tikka it is a no brainer.

I don’t see any gaters?

I really like the insulated Lowa hunters for late season. If you don’t like insulated, you may appreciate the taller Lowas at least.

The big liner? Are you packing meat in the bag or on the shelf? Don’t need a big dry bag to pack on the shelf.

Ok. Good observations. I forgot the gaiters. I have some Rab Trishield 3L gaiters that weigh about 7.1oz I can throw in.

On the Lowas, Id like to have both, but I only have the non-insulated. I was hoping I could double up on socks and be ok. If not, maybe Ill consider adding insulated eventually.

The bag liner was just for waterproofing the gear inside the pack. Sleeping bag, clothes, etc. I was planning to use game bags on the load shelf. Do you think the Crib Load Panel is necessary for the Exo?

Thanks by the way!

LMAO. What caliber? And can I live with you when the wife throws me out?

- - - Updated - - -

And are we talking the Superlite?
:D

Oh lawd we gotta pick rifle and caliber? This thread will never end. But yeah, the Superlites are bitchin. I have one in 6.5 and love it. Topped it with a Maven RS2. Recoil in 300 Win Mag will be fierce, but doable with a recoil pad. Maybe do a 7mm mag to diversify since you’ve got a 300 already.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Oh lawd we gotta pick rifle and caliber? This thread will never end. But yeah, the Superlites are bitchin. I have one in 6.5 and love it. Topped it with a Maven RS2. Recoil in 300 Win Mag will be fierce, but doable with a recoil pad. Maybe do a 7mm mag to diversify since you’ve got a 300 already.

I have been thinking of a 7mm Mag. So do you have a free couch? :p