cryptosporidium and purification tablets

sk1

WKR
so i went back and was reading aron's thread about the msr tablets he likes to use....it appears most tablets do not purify against cryptosporidium. if they do, they are like the potable aqua chlorine dioxide tablets and take a 4 hour wait time to effectively purify cryptosporidium.

so i don't know that much about cryptosporidium even after googling some articles, but people using tablets and drinking after 30 minutes are you just crossing your fingers or what? does anyone know is cryptosporidium not that common or something? i will be using the sawyer inline filter this year, i was just going to buy some tablets as an emergency backup plan should something happen to the filter. to me that seems like an acceptable backup plan as waiting the 4 hours is not always practical and something is better than nothing. i did use tablets when my filter broke last year, but didn't really know much about them.

i guess my question is this: if you use the tablets are they just a backup plan like they will be in my scenario, or do you just go with it an take your chances on the cryptosporidium.

if you dip and drink this question does not apply to you, i realize many people still do this.

I just take a 10L Dromedary bag and make sure my Aquamira drops get 4 hours to do their thing. My area had no shortage of clean running water too.

The filter/pump is good for areas with not the best water.

I use a tablet made in Ireland called Aquatabs. They are standard kit for Medecin san Frontiers and a lot of other international health care providers.
Commonly used in a lot of places, but not approved by the FDA in the U.S.
Thirty minutes to potability (one tab to one litre), and almost no funky taste, and yes, it kills crypto.

I don't think Crypto is real prominent in mountain streams and lakes. Giardia is a much bigger concern. I use a filter but if using tablets I wouldn't worry much about Crypto.

I don't think Crypto is real prominent in mountain streams and lakes. Giardia is a much bigger concern. I use a filter but if using tablets I wouldn't worry much about Crypto.

i was trying to find out where crypto is prominent and didn't come up with much on my initial search, thats why i am asking the question

I use a tablet made in Ireland called Aquatabs. They are standard kit for Medecin san Frontiers and a lot of other international health care providers.
Commonly used in a lot of places, but not approved by the FDA in the U.S.
Thirty minutes to potability (one tab to one litre), and almost no funky taste, and yes, it kills crypto.

are you talking about these??

http://www.aquatabs.com/aquatabs_products_range/aquatabs_usa_pack.html

i can't find a claim anywhere about killing crypto....if these are the right tabs you're talking about, did you read it somewhere or talk with someone about this?

Crypto is prominent in young calves, especially dairy calves. Most people that grew up on a farm/ranch, or spent any significant time around livestock have had it and are immune.

i can't find a claim anywhere about killing crypto....if these are the right tabs you're talking about, did you read it somewhere or talk with someone about this?

The maker doesn't make a claim about Crypto, but i began using the tabs after two of my local ER Docs who are hardcore backcountry guys here turned me on to them about five years ago.
Another buddy of mine back East (who is an MD as well) and his wife and three kids used them extensively when they lived in in Africa and rural Australia.

When i asked the first two about crypto they pointed out that yes, near the end of it's life cycle the crypto could theoretically survive the tabs, but they put that as a low probability.This factored in with a way higher chance of giardiosis led them both to tabs rather than filters.

These are two guys i trust, and as such i use tabs exclusively. Here in my home region there is substantial backcountry grazing by cattle in some areas, and i haven't had an issue, and neither has anyone else i know who uses the ATs (which are probably used here as much if not more than filters).

If the concern of crypto keeps you that awake at night, filter.

Crypto is prominent in young calves, especially dairy calves. Most people that grew up on a farm/ranch, or spent any significant time around livestock have had it and are immune.

In other words, if I ate shit, I should be okay?:eek: Growing up with cattle and eating donuts while processing them probably has exposed me to most everything offered by cattle out the back end, good or bad. Boy, I didn't realize the fringe benefits of shit.

If the concern of crypto keeps you that awake at night, filter.

doesn't keep me awake at night at all.....just trying to choose the right tabs and seeing what the rest of the community does in regards to crypto when using tabs. i will be filtering anyways tabs are just a backup---just wanted to buy the most functional backup i can

Sk1, i just realized how dickish that comment of mine looked.
Sorry 'bout that. Definitely not the intent.

Any chemical treatment relies on the least amount of turbidity to increase full exposure of organisms, so it's never a bad plan.

Back