Curious About Limb Driven Rests

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
I see Hamskeas getting a lot of press and I really don’t know much about the advantages and disadvantages between these and a cable driven drop away like the QAD. I’ve been using the QAD for years and years but I’m always happy to try something new of it’s a better option.

I have 3 TT Smackdown pro rests on 3 bows. TT Pronghorn on another bow. The difference being that the limb pulls the rest down and is held there under tension. Cable rest is spring loaded down and can move up and down when at rest, which means it could possibly bounce when shot. The thought is the limb driven rest will hold the rest out of way of arrow and fletching. No timing on limb driven, at least not on mine, just pull cord tight till rest is down and tighten it. Might be slightly easier setup.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

noroads

FNG
Also a limb driven rest will stay up/support the arrow longer on the release than the typical cable driven rest.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I had a ripcord cable driven rest and while walking an archery course without the quiver on the cable must have brushed up against my pants and got wrapped around the adjustment knob and when I went to pull back it made an ugly sound. I realized what happened but it was too late the cord got strecthed and the timing was off. Luckily I was only at the range and not on a hunt, so I went back to the car and made a field repair but it got worse over time and the launcher stopped dropping when I shot the bow.

I called ripcord and told them what happened and explained that it was totally my fault and they sent me a new one free of charge. I have since gone to a limb driven Vapor trail pro V. If you damage the cable on this you can use para cord or even shoe laces without having to worry about the timing being off. Plenty of videos on youtube.

Just posting my experiences with both cable driven and limb driven rests. YMMV

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I have a QAD and a Hamskea. Advantages to both styles in my opinion. Personally I like to have the rest up and supporting the arrow before I draw, So I give the nudge slightly to the cable style for me. Can’t go wrong with either though.

If your shooting fast arrow speeds I don’t think your going to see as much of a difference between cable and limb driven as you would shooting slower heavy arrows. Can’t go wrong with a Hamskea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weaver

WKR
Limb driven is the way to go for me. Can instantly see if the cable stretches or anything is out of wack. No timing to worry about and setup is a breeze.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
V

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve read the stuff about cable driven rests having the cord being caught up in brush or whatever but the limb driven rests also have a cable hats usually longer so what gives?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If catching the cord is a concern, you are more likely to catch a limb driven one or a cable driven one since it is three times longer.

For me the biggest advantage of the cable driven (QAD) is that it is upright supporting the arrow and the full capture area is small so the arrow can’t bounce around much making noise.

The limb driven rests are in the down position and come up to full draw and the area the arrow can bounce around in when not at full draw is two and sometimes three times that of a QAD. Limb driven rests still need to be timed, they are just much easier to do.

It is really what ever you prefer that will work. For hunting I have the QAD and all my target bows have a Hamskea.

DanZ

FNG
I have had much better luck tuning hybrid cam bows with limb driven rests that have a lizard tongue style launcher. They support the arrow longer and can flex and support as the arrow makes its initial acceleration. I have found this helpful when a bow has less than perfect vertical nock travel.

On most bows you have a ton of adjustment in terms of when a cable driven rest drops -- by moving the location on the limb.

A rest that attaches to your cable influences your cam timing. Not a big problem - you just have to adjust the timing after the rest is setup, but I just like keeping these issues separate.

You don't need anything fancy to fix a limb driven drop away in the field -- if you could replace the cable in 2 min with a piece of 550 cord boot lace and it would shoot exactly the same. Not as easy to do with a cable driven rest.

SaltyUte

Lil-Rokslider
Switched to a Hamskea this year after using an AAE Prophecy last year. Will probably never change now!

I have a hamskea trinity hunter. It is the best rest I have tried. I have used the trophy taker smack down pro (limb driven) and the AAE Pro Drop (Limb Driven. Basically the same as the Nick On Elevate). I have also used the QAD Fall away rests in the past. I had a problem with vane contact on the QAD rests. No vane contact problems with any of the limb driven rests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
My local shop recommended limb driven because it is easier to fix in the field. I went with the Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro and love it so far.

dg09

FNG
has anyone used the g5 cmax compared to the vapor trail? very similar i think.
but i believe the cmax will raise with the push button

jspradley

WKR
I'm really digging my Hamskea Trinity, although it is my first dropaway so I don't have anything to compare it too.

I do like how easy it is to setup and even if something did happen to the cable it would be really easy to repair in the field

Orions.Quest

Lil-Rokslider
I used a QAD rest for years without significant issues. Started doing the research on the differences and decided that a limb driven (Hamskea) would be my next rest. Primary benefit to me was the field repair and that my new bow supposedly did better maintaining timing without additional cable resistance. I’m simple sold on the field repair, even though it’s never been an issue for me it’s always something I’m super aware of while
out, especially in thick brush.
I’ll keep the QAD on my old bow as a backup and for treestand hunting but I’m really looking forward to the limb driven hamskea

TannerS

FNG
I switched to a Hamskea Trinity Hunter Pro from a cable driven about 4 months ago. The setup was very simple and the micro-adjust is extremely convenient and precise. Also, I'm far more confident with managing a potential field repair on the Hamskea, but this thing is so robust I'm sure it won't be an issue.

Campstool

FNG
I think the limb driven is more prone to getting snagged on stuff but also would be easier to repair in the back country. I'd probably go with a Ripcord Lok if I had the money

Gumbo

WKR
I think the limb driven is more prone to getting snagged on stuff but also would be easier to repair in the back country. I'd probably go with a Ripcord Lok if I had the money

I just set up a Ripcord Lok for the first time the other evening for a friend and was not impressed at all. I currently have Hamskeas on my bows, and have previously shot the Trophy Taker and Ripcord Ace. The Lok seems like there is a lot that could go wrong with it compared to the Hamskea and the tightening mechanism was a poor design IMO. It also had a very hard time fitting on his Realm SS because of the roller guard and it ended up with very little adjustability vertically because it is pretty much pinned between the rubber on the roller guard and launcher on the shelf. I told my buddy to get a Hamksea, he bought the Lok, and by the end of it he realized his error. Maybe it will be a great rest, but my first impressions were not good at all, given the choice between it and the Ace I'd go for the Ace without doubt.

FWIW the Hamskea is a far easier setup and has totally proven its durability, simplicity, tunability to me. If I were to get a new rest today it would be another Hybrid Hunter Micro Adjust. I do a lot of spot and stalk hunting in sage country and have never had an issue with the cord getting caught up. On my bows the cord is pretty well protected by my Tightspot and arrows, if anything gets hung up it is the quiver or strings and cables, the rest cord has never been an issue for me. Maybe if you ran it to the top limb it would get caught up more?

Last edited: