custom 300 win mag question

N2TRKYS

WKR
A 300 WM w/ 215 grain bullets. Wow. That sounds punishing on both ends. What are you hunting with it?

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I am running a Rem 700 action with a Rock Creek barrel M24 contour in 1:10. I am pushing 210grn Berger VLD's 2975 (chronoed on a CED M2), using Winchester brass, Fed 215 primers and 73grns of RE22 (This is an excessively HOT load, do NOT use this and if you do it is at your own risk!). The rifle shoots dead on and will bughole at 100 (as well as burn holes through AR500 plates at that distance). I use this for competition use (it is way to heavy of a rifle to pack).

The Rem action is nowhere as nice as my Sako's but it is what it is.

Not trying to steal the thread however a post about factory barrel vs custom barrel above got me wondering; what's the difference between a factory 1:10 and a custom 1:10? Why the velocity difference? Maybe I misunderstood the post? Im trying to learn so if this is a dumb question please just PM me and let me kow. Thanks

GKPrice

Banned
Not trying to steal the thread however a post about factory barrel vs custom barrel above got me wondering; what's the difference between a factory 1:10 and a custom 1:10? Why the velocity difference? Maybe I misunderstood the post? Im trying to learn so if this is a dumb question please just PM me and let me kow. Thanks

there are "fast" barrels and there are "slow" barrels, you can really never tell what you'll get until shooting it but custom barrels "tend" to be faster as a general rule

I think it has more to do with the reamer, a smith will know what is chamber is capable of. Some smith's tweak the reamer design to maximize velocity. Such is the example of broz 300 win mag mentioned earlier.

OP
M
decided on a RBros lw hunter in 7mm Rem Mag. I ran the numbers on the load he has worked up with a 180 berger and the ballistics are more than enough for what I need. He is claiming over 3000fps which puts down a little over 1500 Ft-lb of energy at 1000 yards. The fact that he had one ready to be coated helped with my decision.

Travis talked to me on the phone 3 times and was very helpful. Some of the other builders I reached out to I never got to talk to the smith and was left wondering if I was making a good decision or not. Some never got back to me. Rbros pricing was right in the middle and the gun will be at my door in 2 weeks. Cant wait.

This season I will shoot hsm 180 berger factory ammo which Travis says shoots well. Then I will buy all the shit I need to replicate the load data he is giving me. How hard is it to reload?? I will soon find out....

Thanks for all the info guys!!! Somewhere someone mentioned the rouge action as well as RBros and that was my destiny...

Beastmode

WKR
decided on a RBros lw hunter in 7mm Rem Mag. I ran the numbers on the load he has worked up with a 180 berger and the ballistics are more than enough for what I need. He is claiming over 3000fps which puts down a little over 1500 Ft-lb of energy at 1000 yards. The fact that he had one ready to be coated helped with my decision.

Travis talked to me on the phone 3 times and was very helpful. Some of the other builders I reached out to I never got to talk to the smith and was left wondering if I was making a good decision or not. Some never got back to me. Rbros pricing was right in the middle and the gun will be at my door in 2 weeks. Cant wait.

This season I will shoot hsm 180 berger factory ammo which Travis says shoots well. Then I will buy all the shit I need to replicate the load data he is giving me. How hard is it to reload?? I will soon find out....

Thanks for all the info guys!!! Somewhere someone mentioned the rouge action as well as RBros and that was my destiny...
Awesome! You won't be disappointed. Travis does excellent work and has great customer service he always got back to me right away and was very informative.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
^^^this. Travis builds very nice weapons and couldn't be more.helpful if he tried.

I am very happy with my LWLR in 300WM.

FURMAN

WKR
Mtslackcountry, I am sure you will be very happy with your rifle. 1hornhunter, the biggest factor in velocity is the chamber and barrel length but each barrel is different.

OP
M
Got the rifle (7mm Rem Mag)end of last week. Have put about 80 rounds of HSM Trophy gold 180 vlds down the tube. Couldn't be happier with this rifle. It consistanly a 1/2 moa rifle for me with the factory ammo if I do my part. My best group was 3 shots in one hole at 100 yards this was probably .1 moa. Pretty pumped to see what this gun can do once I figure out how to reload and use the load data that RBros provided me.

mt100gr.

WKR
Very cool. and yes, they flat out shoot! You must have taken advantage of one of his "ready to ship" deals? That's very fast turnaround for a top shelf rifle. Congrats and enjoy!

OP
M
Very cool. and yes, they flat out shoot! You must have taken advantage of one of his "ready to ship" deals? That's very fast turnaround for a top shelf rifle. Congrats and enjoy!

Yea I bought a LW hunter that was ready to be coated. He put a 20 moa rail on it, made a threaded barrel cap and broke it in for me. I had the gun in my hands in about a week. It was extremely quick turn around and his customer service was top notch.

OP
M
I was able to connect on this bull with the new RBros 7mm. I didn't get to stretch its legs as the shot was only 80 yards. The 180 berger vld smoked him tho.

Not sure how to upload photo....

Last edited:

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
I've built on customs, but actually prefer a trued Remmy with a well-attached bolt handle. I've found that many custom actions are just too tight for field work in poor conditions. Some actions do have the option of specifying clearances so that may help the situation. Be sure your smith knows how you'll use the rifle and in what conditions and you should come out ok.