Custom Remington Model 7 DBM Transformation - Evolution #4

Riflman

FNG
I’ve had this rifle since the early 1990’s. It’s so long ago i can’t even recall what it started as. I think 6mm Remington. Soon after it evolved into into a custom. I had Lyle Linkaitis from Selkirk, Manitoba true and blueprint the action, work the trigger, install a pinned badger ordinance recoil lug and a 27” Lilja #1 barrel with Vais brake. I had already pillar bedded the stock myself and once i got it back, I duracoated the stock white for winter coyote hunting. The rifle never fed more than maybe one from the mag, so at best it was a two shot rifle. I still used it for coyotes though and it was a beloved rifle.

sheldon d charron hunting 00117.jpeg

Then it sat in a safe in Canada for almost eight years, from 2010-2018.

I had it imported to the US and sent it to Mike Bryant in Texas, one of my long time clients. He had written a Precision Shooting magazine article about converting a Remington Model 7 to 6BR in the 90’s and that article is what inspired me to build the gun. I figured he was the best guy to fix it. So off it went.

The rifle evolved again and became a 6mm Creedmoor, the whole rifle was cerakoted FDE (perhaps a bit too much FDE) and the barrel lost a fair amount of length through the process. There were some wrinkles but the feeding issues were fixed.

IMG_7911.jpeg
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-10 20:22:23.170505.jpg

Soon after, it went through evolution three. Mike installed a Bartlein 1:7.5 twist and chambered it in 243 Win.

IMG_7930.jpeg
IMG_7920.jpegIMG_7924.jpegIMG_7963.jpeg
IMG_3838.jpeg

The rifle was shooting under half inch three shot groups with factory ammo, but it was now heavier than I wanted, and I hated the colour, so it was a safe queen. It didn’t help that I had to use heavy rings and bases because of the three mounting holes, but yeah, it was meh.

Fast forward to 2024, and we are on to evolution number four. It went back to Mike for a tweak to the chamber and while there, I had him work some magic on the stock to break up the FDE. It turned out fantastic. Since this was a Gen 1, the mounts were three holes, so he drilled and tapped it to four holes and installed a 20 MOA rail. The rifle had gained a bit of weight anyway, so i decided to add a DBM. I had PTG send one to Mike and he expertly installed it. I sent out a mag for testing and it arrived home feeding flawlessly. Finally, I had him install a Spartan mount and a brand new black recoil pad to replace the dated old red/brown pad.

IMG_8711.jpegIMG_8712.jpeg

What’s extra nice is that I used mags with binder plates, and no mods to the action were needed. So if I change my mind, I just need to swap out the DBM and stock (since the inletting is changed now) and it’s a normal Model 7 again.

The rifle has been completely transformed. It was kind if a sentimental rifle that fell out of favor with me after rechambering from 6BR and barrel cut down, but now, I feel like I just had a new baby boy.

It’s an oddball for sure. A Rem model 7 with DBM and AICS mags, but i think I’ll throw my night force on it and take it to a PRS match just to see how it does.

I have new Lapua brass, a few hundred Berger 105’s, two 12 tounds mags, and if it still shoots well enough 🤞🏻I’ll take it to a match for fun.

What a great rifle. I’ve only owned a model 7 for a short time, but always regretted not keeping it and upgrading the barrel like you’ve done. I’ve always wondered why Remington never brought out a long action model 7.

I switched a couple of M7's to Badger Ordnance Model 7 M5 bottom metal a few years back. It was a great improvement in feeding, especially the .223AI. For the standard rounds, MDT's flush fit 3 round AICS are really nice.

I switched a couple of M7's to Badger Ordnance Model 7 M5 bottom metal a few years back. It was a great improvement in feeding, especially the .223AI. For the standard rounds, MDT's flush fit 3 round AICS are really nice.

I haven't seen those three round mags yet. I'll check them out.

Only thing I’ve ever changed on my Model Sevens were the stocks. I’ve never had a single feeding issue with any of mine or any accuracy issues from the factory barrels. 🤷‍♂️

Those 20” and the 18.5” barrels balance very well and are a dream to tote and shoot.

Only thing I’ve ever changed on my Model Sevens were the stocks. I’ve never had a single feeding issue with any of mine or any accuracy issues from the factory barrels. 🤷‍♂️

Those 20” and the 18.5” barrels balance very well and are

It had a feeding issue because it was converted from a 243/308 follower to a modified (shortened) follower with a spacer block at the rear of the internal magazine to fit the 6BR case. It might have even had a 223 length follower in there. I can’t recall. The work was done over 30 years ago. The rifle was never meant for the 6 BR. :) Not the fault of the rifle. Once it was restored to normal intervals to match the 308 bolt face it fed fine. But I wanted to run it in a few matches and for prairie dogs with 12 round magazines.

For an ultralight rifle I’ll get one of the Howa Superlights and hope it’s a good one. 😆

Man I wish the model seven would reappear. Had mine trued and a bartlein #3 6.5 creed barrel installed. It shoots lights out20240106_112317.jpg

Attachments

• ecb9b568-0335-449a-bbef-3ef8f2ef0398.jpg
    ecb9b568-0335-449a-bbef-3ef8f2ef0398.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 11

Those 20” and the 18.5” barrels balance very well and are a dream to tote and shoot.

.308 feeding was good with factory bottom metal.

.223 feeding was fine with factory bottom metal. When I rebarreled to 223AI the feeding was very rough. Going to a milled follower helped some. AI mags fixed it.

.358 Win would feed but was never smooth. Milled follower helped some. AI mags made it great.

I prefer the slight forward balance I get on a M7 with a light stock and 21-22" light sporter barrel. That's just my preference though.

.223 feeding was fine with factory bottom metal. When I rebarreled to 223AI the feeding was very rough. Going to a milled follower helped some. AI mags fixed it.

.358 Win would feed but was never smooth. Milled follower helped some. AI mags made it great.

I prefer the slight forward balance I get on a M7 with a light stock and 21-22" light sporter barrel. That's just my preference though.

The 6 Creedmoor barrel I have is a Lilja #1 so a pencil barrel and the lightest they make. It’s fairly short. It’s 22.6” to the shoulder of the brake, so close to 23” plus the brake which makes it about 24.5” finished length. Considering the heavier barrel is only 18.5” to the shoulder or perhaps 19” total, plus brake, it’s only a few ounces difference between them (from what I recall). They are both very well balanced. The Lilja shot in the 2’s and 3’s with handloads as a 6BR. As a 6mm Creedmoor it shoots in the 4’s with pretty much any factory rounds. I have some quickly loaded 55 Nosler lead free from a recipe right out of the book and they shoot amazing. I’m sure I could make loads that shoot better if I took the time.

The 243 barrel I have only tried factory loads so far, and they were shooting under .5” I have no doubt that when I work up handloads the rifle will drill holes. And what’s nice about the magazines is they center feed straight into the chamber.

I’ll be loading Berger 105’s into Lapua brass.

IMG_8807.jpeg
IMG_8809.jpegIMG_8810.jpegIMG_8812.jpegIMG_8813.jpeg
IMG_8645.jpeg

Last edited:

One of my Model Sevens is a 7 SAUM and has a factory 22” barrel. I killed my only elk with it. Hopefully, my next elk will be killed with another Model Seven in 7-08 with a 20” factory barrel. Although the 22” barrel ain’t terrible, it doesn’t feel as handy as the 20 inchers.

I think Remington is really missing out by not bringing the Model Seven back into production.

One of my Model Sevens is a 7 SAUM and has a factory 22” barrel. I killed my only elk with it. Hopefully, my next elk will be killed with another Model Seven in 7-08 with a 20” factory barrel. Although the 22” barrel ain’t terrible, it doesn’t feel as handy as the 20 inchers.

I think Remington is really missing out by not bringing the Model Seven back into production.

With all the other options out there now though, do you think they would capture much of the market? Pretty much anyone can make a 20” barreled rifle now that’s light and accurate.

My stock is the wood schnabel version and has been pillar bedded and cerakoted, so perhaps not as light as synthetic or carbon, but it’s not very light at all even with the light barrel. They are great but many people have them worked up to make them really shine.

What are some other factory rifles that would compete with the model 7 today?

My stock is 1 pound, 14 oz. What would be some stock options if I wanted to shed some weight here? Mine is pillar bedded with studs and a spartan adapter. But I think the adapter is like 1.4 oz or some ridiculous little amount.

IMG_8815.jpegIMG_8814.jpeg

With all the other options out there now though, do you think they would capture much of the market? Pretty much anyone can make a 20” barreled rifle now that’s light and accurate.

My stock is the wood schnabel version and has been pillar bedded and cerakoted, so perhaps not as light as synthetic or carbon, but it’s not very light at all even with the light barrel. They are great but many people have them worked up to make them really shine.

What are some other factory rifles that would compete with the model 7 today?
To me, there’s nothing that would compete with the Model Seven. I’ve never had to do anything to one to “make it shine”. Everything I’ve done to one is merely cosmetic and personal preference or just to change it up.

To me, there’s nothing that would compete with the Model Seven. I’ve never had to do anything to one to “make it shine”. Everything I’ve done to one is merely cosmetic and personal preference or just to change it up.
Well I guess by make it shine, I mean shoot like a laser, many model 7’s in the XP100 form factor were used as Benchrest guns, but they needed to be trued and blueprinted first. That’s what I did to mine, and added a pinned badger ordinace recoil lug so now I can swap out my two barrels without headspacing. I guess it all depends on what you consider accurate.

Last edited:
Well I guess by make it shine, I mean shoot like a laser, many model 7’s in the XP100 form factor were used as Benchrest guns, but they needed to be tried and blueprinted first. That’s what I did to mine, and added a pinned badger ordinace reply lug so now I can swap out my two barrels without headspacing. I guess it all depends on what you consider accurate.
I guess. Less than an 1” at 100 yards has always worked for me for hunting rifles.

From the sounds of things, that’s plenty accurate compared to other factory offerings these days. I cut my teeth in the wildcat and accuracy nut days of Glen Newick, but we hunted a lot of tiny varmints at LONG range so the more accurate the better. :)

Last edited:
Back