Cut down on Stone Glacier’s clutter...?

FNG
This is an odd question. I just purchased a SG 5900 and love the bag. BUT, there seem to be soooo many straps on the thing. Coming from an Exo 3500 I felt it was a lot easier to take the bag apart, load meat, reattach the bag, etc.

Does anyone have similar thoughts or am I just crazy? Has anyone tried to cut back on the clutter and had success? It definitely doesn’t negatively impact the bags performance but I just can’t stand all the straps hanging all over the place.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't realize you need all that clutter, until you need all that clutter.... Like, when you have a boned out sheep/elk meat in the load shelf, an entire camp in the main bag and horns/antlers strapped to the top I'd leave it as is, personally. Get some of the strap saver deals that you can use to minimize straps flying all over when not used to their max. It's worth the amount of time it takes to roll them all up IMO.

Kotaman

WKR
You don't realize you need all that clutter, until you need all that clutter.... Like, when you have a boned out sheep/elk meat in the load shelf, an entire camp in the main bag and horns/antlers strapped to the top I'd leave it as is, personally. Get some of the strap saver deals that you can use to minimize straps flying all over when not used to their max. It's worth the amount of time it takes to roll them all up IMO.
[/QUOT

Like Nick said, get some of the rubber strap savers from SG and run with it. I love my 5900.

OP

FNG
Do you guys do all the frame straps too? That’s where my OCD kicks in and kills me lol.

Also what’s a good way to keep the load shelf away from the bag connection point in the middle? I seem to have a bunch of crap in the way when trying to reattach.

jmez

WKR
All the straps are what give Stone Glacier an actual functioning compression system. They don't bother me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Get some of the strap saver deals that you can use to minimize straps flying all over when not used to their max. It's worth the amount of time it takes to roll them all up IMO.

Do those work pretty well? I have always been a strap roller-upper, even going so far as to sew some up for my SG and sew loops on the end of the straps for them, but it can definitely be a pain to roll and unroll the straps.

*zap*

WKR
Loose straps are not an issue for me especially since they are there for a reason. I ordered some buckle ends, small triglides and some webbing to alter my 6200 a bit, Andrew sent em to me n/c. Stone Glacier Rocks!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yes, it’s time consuming to roll and unroll. I set mine up snug with pack full. That way it’s minimal adjustment in the field. One good roll up after dropping camp gear, switching to daypack mode.

You can stop rolling a few inches shy of the buckle, wrap the ends underneath the webbing that is coming from the frame before it gets to the buckle. That allows some forgiveness as you can slide along adjusting the length but won’t leave it hanging off your pack.

Do you guys do all the frame straps too? That’s where my OCD kicks in and kills me lol.

Also what’s a good way to keep the load shelf away from the bag connection point in the middle? I seem to have a bunch of crap in the way when trying to reattach.

Try loosening/tightening the load shelf straps and it will position it higher or lower away from the bag attachment points. You think you want to tighten it all the way up because it looks best, that’s wrong, it doesn’t matter what it looks like underneath your bag.

OP, I thought the same thing on my first hunt with a SG 6900 after years with exo packs. After more days hunting, taking it apart and putting back together, more meat packing, it all makes sense to me now.

The one part I’m not sure is necessary is the short straps on the frame side of the bag about 10” up from the bottom of the bag.

OP

FNG
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I need to just get used to it for now and in time it won’t be a big deal. I’m going to spend some time and see how clutter free I can make it for now.

One thing I really like is it seems SG’s can really be customized and tailored if you put some time into it, just need the ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
Start throwing loads in and out of your load shelf, then putting your bag back on the frame. The pieces of the puzzle will start to make since.

OP, I thought the same thing on my first hunt with a SG 6900 after years with exo packs. After more days hunting, taking it apart and putting back together, more meat packing, it all makes sense to me now.

The one part I’m not sure is necessary is the short straps on the frame side of the bag about 10” up from the bottom of the bag.

Those are the straps my bag attaches to. You must be talking about something else.

Those are the straps my bag attaches to. You must be talking about something else.

I guess they probably keep the bag from riding up on the frame but I’m not sure it’d be a problem without them in most circumstances. They get disconnected for meat packing.

I just got a 5900 as well earlier this year. And the same idea crossed my mind. I took it apart to clean it a but from our fishing/camping/hiking trips from this summer and found myself looking at straps with no buckles or places to go to. Had to undo and redo like 7x. We head out hunting next friday fingers crossed it performs well (dont think that will be an issue) but it's been a great bag all summer but like wise, I feel like there is alot of straps hanging and OCD kicks in. I've been reading and trying to look up ideas on here and other places to see what people did to control the straps a bit. It all goes back to the SG webbing straps

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Used my SG Talus on a few backpack hunts this year and I had the SG webbing keepers. They are lightweight, but I did not find that they were easy to adjust between a compressed bag (dayhike up the mountain) and fully expanded bag (moving spike camp). For the most part I ended up moving them out of the way and not using them as my bag size changed drastically every 2 days I became tired with sliding the rubber on 16 straps around. My partner had a kuiu with the Velcro roll up straps, I’d definitely recommend those over the SG in a few of the more commonly used locations. The light weight of the SG rubber band type is nice, wouldn’t need all the straps to be Velcro.