Cutting barrel advice. .300WM

TheCoyote

FNG
What are the considerations and implications involved with reducing the length of a rifle barrel?

I have a .300WM that I have loved for many years. It is a decent shooter for a factory gun, but I’d like to put a silencer on it. The factory barrel is currently 26” long.

If I cut and thread the barrel to something shorter, what are the implications? Obviously we will loose some velocity (25-35 fps/inch). And loose some weight. But what other implications are there?

What about shooting a magnum caliber out of a short barrel? Will the power have enough barrel to burn or will I be pumping a fireball into that suppressor? The rifle shoots best with fairly hot loads. I’m concerned that if I go to something low pressure the groups will open up.

I’d like to go short on the barrel, say 20” and then go long on the suppressor. But how short is too short?

Anyone have experience shooting a silencer on a .300 WM? Should I just leave it alone and buy a different barrel?

What are the considerations and implications involved with reducing the length of a rifle barrel?

I have a .300WM that I have loved for many years. It is a decent shooter for a factory gun, but I’d like to put a silencer on it. The factory barrel is currently 26” long.

If I cut and thread the barrel to something shorter, what are the implications? Obviously we will loose some velocity (25-35 fps/inch). And loose some weight. But what other implications are there?

What about shooting a magnum caliber out of a short barrel? Will the power have enough barrel to burn or will I be pumping a fireball into that suppressor? The rifle shoots best with fairly hot loads. I’m concerned that if I go to something low pressure the groups will open up.

I’d like to go short on the barrel, say 20” and then go long on the suppressor. But how short is too short?

Anyone have experience shooting a silencer on a .300 WM? Should I just leave it alone and buy a different barrel?
Chop that hog, mine is 23" and I wish I would have gone 20" without a doubt. Refer to your suppressor specs and make sure it'll handle your desired barrel length.

OP
TheCoyote

TheCoyote

FNG
Good article. I’m not sure what the overall takeaway is. I’d be interested in comparing the ballistics of a 20” .300 WM vs. 20” .308…?

Is it correct that magnums really get their pop from that long barrel?

Good article. I’m not sure what the overall takeaway is. I’d be interested in comparing the ballistics of a 20” .300 WM vs. 20” .308…?

Is it correct that magnums really get their pop from that long barrel?
Compare all you like, a larger capacity cartridge will outperform a smaller capacity cartridge given the same bullet weight and barrel length. Every single time.

OP
TheCoyote

TheCoyote

FNG
Compare all you like, a larger capacity cartridge will outperform a smaller capacity cartridge given the same bullet weight and barrel length. Every single time.
You are right. That was a dumb way of thinking.
Here’s a different and/or better question;

How do I know that I’m burning all the powder in my case in a short barrel?

If I had a 20” barrel, and say 73gr. of powder, would all that powder burn behind the bullet or just create a fireball at the muzzle?

I’m currently shooting 165gr. Nosler Accubonds with 73gr. of RL 19. In a 26” barrel.

You are right. That was a dumb way of thinking.
Here’s a different and/or better question;

How do I know that I’m burning all the powder in my case in a short barrel?

If I had a 20” barrel, and say 73gr. of powder, would all that powder burn behind the bullet or just create a fireball at the muzzle?

I’m currently shooting 165gr. Nosler Accubonds with 73gr. of RL 19. In a 26” barrel.
How do you know you're burning it all in a 26" barrel? Do you need a 30" to burn it all? The correct answer is it doesn't matter to me. Shorter barrels will have more muzzle flash than longer barrels but will be irrelevant with a suppressor. Many people really overthink this subject, you've got to go with what suits your needs and is reasonably practical. If a 20" 300 WM suits your needs go for it, no reason to try and talk yourself out of it.

Very simple:

Cut it to 20”. Shoot it suppressed and find out you love it.

If you don’t love it rebarrel it.

We have a 16” 6.5cm love it, 18” 7 saum and .308 love them, two 21” 6.5PRC wouldn’t be mad if they were 1-3” shorter, and a 22” .300wm that would be better at 20”. Take all that for what it’s worth.

BjornF16

WKR

How do you know you're burning it all in a 26" barrel? Do you need a 30" to burn it all? The correct answer is it doesn't matter to me. Shorter barrels will have more muzzle flash than longer barrels but will be irrelevant with a suppressor.

All of the powder that is going to burn is burned in the first few inches ahead of the chamber.

Muzzle flash is simply combustion gasses (product of powder burning) reigniting when it hits oxygen in the air as it exits the barrel.

Slower burn rate powders have more propensity to produce muzzle flash than faster burn rate powders mainly because one typically uses more powder with slower burn rate.

BjornF16

WKR
I’ve got a 22” 300 WM that we shoot suppressed…no issues!

Why 22”? That is the suppressor manufacturer’s recommended min barrel length (had the suppressor first).

OP
TheCoyote

TheCoyote

FNG
I’ve got a 22” 300 WM that we shoot suppressed…no issues!

Why 22”? That is the suppressor manufacturer’s recommended min barrel length (had the suppressor first).
Which suppressor? I’m thinking banish 30

BjornF16

WKR
See my thread on lightweight suppressor

I have a Banish 30 and wouldn't recommend it, marginal suppression for its length and it's a MAJOR pain in the ass to take apart.
Get a Nomad LT or CGS Hyperion, they're the two quietest 30 cans on the market.

WRO

WKR
I'd keep an eye, especially with a RUM with unburnt powder building up in the can. I have a buddy who's can exploded due to powder build up, and another who was burnt the crown off his barrel on a 300 PRC, both were either 18 or 20" pipes pushing big pills with slow burning powder.