CVA Accura LRX or Paramount Pro

RunNGunSC

FNG
How much better is the paramount pro? I’m buying a .50 in order to be Colorado compliant but accuracy and range matter to me. Seems like you could get similar ballistics.

OP
R

RunNGunSC

FNG
I am having trouble finding the max 209 charge for the accura. I think I saw 120 by volume, but that article also said 3x 50 grain 777 pellets.

Jimbee

WKR
I have a Paramount Pro Colorado legal muzzleloader I'd maybe sell if you're interested.

OP
R

RunNGunSC

FNG
Still doing research and typically buy new, but I appreciate the offer. Can I ask what you think of the pro and shot performance?

Jimbee

WKR
It shoots good, it's just a bit heavy for my liking. I prefer carrying my cheapo wolf, especially if only using sights.

88mustang

FNG
I have a Paramount Pro with Arrowhead rifles
Ignition 100% no blow by Anarchy muzzle brake! I shoot the Arrowhead 300xld bullet to bore shots 110gr blackhorn 209. Shoots great
Check out Arrowhead Rifles he had a Colorado with all the update awhile ago!!

I am having trouble finding the max 209 charge for the accura. I think I saw 120 by volume, but that article also said 3x 50 grain 777 pellets.
120gr by volume is max with blackhorn in the accura. It’s “equivalent” to the 150 gr of 777. The paramount may be able to handle more powder, I don’t know. Blackhorn is much hotter than 777, therefore takes less to equal the 777

Fuenstock

FNG
No experience with the paramount pro but my Lrx shoots great!
100gr pyrodex select and a 320 grain maxxiball round and I was getting 6” groups at 100 yards with open sights and I’m no sniper so that’s plenty accurate for me.
I have the northwest edition lrx since I live in Idaho.

733EA4E9-5EFD-4BAE-96ED-27998E0923C8.jpeg

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
The manufacture max is 120 volume for BH 209 for the LRX. The paramount can handle magnum load charges because the actions are rated to do so, unlike the standard break open barrel.
I’m shooting LRX with the Arrowhead upgrades, no gas leaks. Shoots great.

120gr by volume BH209 is equal to 84gr weighed on a scale as my memory serves.
88Mustang would have to confirm, but I think the 88 is shooting 110gr weighed charge.
check this link from NAML…

“The new recommended loads of Blackhorn 209 are as follows:

.40 Cal - 150 grains by volume (105 by weight)

.45 Cal - 160 grains by volume (112 by weight)

.50 Cal - 170 grains by volume (119 by weight)”

that’s recommended loads btw.

I've seen reports of max load muzzle velocities of 2400 FPS with a 280 grain bullet out of a Paramount Pro. That's roughly 400 FPS more than I get with a 290 grain slug out of my MR-X and about 300 FPS better than what you could expect from an LR-X.

Kingtr99

FNG
I have an LRX with the Williams Western Precision sights on it and with a the 330 gr Powerbelt ELR and 120 gr volume (90 gr weight) of blackhorn 209 I am shooting 1.5 inch groups at 120 yards. You need good eyes with the front globe sight though.

I have an LRX with the Williams Western Precision sights on it and with a the 330 gr Powerbelt ELR and 120 gr volume (90 gr weight) of blackhorn 209 I am shooting 1.5 inch groups at 120 yards. You need good eyes with the front globe sight though.
Did you have to modify the front globe? And which reticle do you use?

To answer the OP's original question. I think it really depends on what your personal expectation is. In my opinion these two guns are not an apples to apples comparison. An accura can only shoot ~120gr by volume blackhorn, whereas the paramount can handle up to 170gr by volume. I have first hand experience with both an MR-X and a paramount Pro, both are good guns in their own regards but not even close to being in the same league. For what its worth since you asked specifically about the LRX, the velocity differences I've seen between the MRX and the LRX have been fairly minimal.

I bought an MRX a few years ago, spent sometime working with it, and found it to be a real good shooter, mine shoots 250gr Thors over 110gr by volume (77gr by wt) very well. The accuracy of this gun is good, but it has it limitations. I personally would feel comfortable with probably a 175-200 yard shot with this setup open sights. If I wanted a really affordable, accurate, and simple functioning/cleaning gun that would get me out to 175-200 MAX yards this is a great option.

The paramount really is a whole different beast. If price is not an issue, and you really want to maximize your effective distance, this is certainly the way I would go. While both guns are capable of very good accuracy at say 100 yards, the extra velocity from the paramount is significant, it really flattens out the trajectory and makes those longer shots doable. I have a muzzleloader elk tag this fall and my goal is to be good out to 300+ yards. I have an adjustable rear peep and just need to spend a bit more time figuring out my drops, but I really feel as if 300+ will be very doable with this setup.

jwshunts

FNG
To answer the OP's original question. I think it really depends on what your personal expectation is. In my opinion these two guns are not an apples to apples comparison. An accura can only shoot ~120gr by volume blackhorn, whereas the paramount can handle up to 170gr by volume. I have first hand experience with both an MR-X and a paramount Pro, both are good guns in their own regards but not even close to being in the same league. For what its worth since you asked specifically about the LRX, the velocity differences I've seen between the MRX and the LRX have been fairly minimal.

I bought an MRX a few years ago, spent sometime working with it, and found it to be a real good shooter, mine shoots 250gr Thors over 110gr by volume (77gr by wt) very well. The accuracy of this gun is good, but it has it limitations. I personally would feel comfortable with probably a 175-200 yard shot with this setup open sights. If I wanted a really affordable, accurate, and simple functioning/cleaning gun that would get me out to 175-200 MAX yards this is a great option.

The paramount really is a whole different beast. If price is not an issue, and you really want to maximize your effective distance, this is certainly the way I would go. While both guns are capable of very good accuracy at say 100 yards, the extra velocity from the paramount is significant, it really flattens out the trajectory and makes those longer shots doable. I have a muzzleloader elk tag this fall and my goal is to be good out to 300+ yards. I have an adjustable rear peep and just need to spend a bit more time figuring out my drops, but I really feel as if 300+ will be very doable with this setup.
Curious when you were shooting 170gr by volume out of the Paramount Pro, what projectile did you use?