CVA MR-X 1 in 28 inch bullet weight

Found this in a thread last year from a BPI rep. "A fast twist is a 1 in 18 to a 1 in a 24. The fast twist guns shoot heavy bullet’s better than say a 1 in 28 twist which is the industry’s standard. My experience has shown slow twist guns like 225,250 and 275 work best in a 1 in 28 and fast twist guns like 275,300 and 350 bullets better."

Does anyone find this is true? I'm setting up my Accura MR-X 50 cal (1 in 28) for an elk hunt in CO. I'm using Triple 7, as I can't find 209. So far 100 grains triple 7 and 340 grain Hornady Bore Driver ELD-X are shooting > 0.5 inch groups at 50 yards. Haven't tried 100 yards yet. I plan on zeroing at 100.

I have plenty of time to play. Anyone had any better luck with lighter bullets? Anyone using 110 to 120 grain Triple 7?????

It is certainly true that with longer (heavier) bullets you generally need a faster twist. The 1:28 is the standard in the factory .50s and many .45 muzzies. Although many of us are finding that faster twists are much more versatile. The White muzzleloaders all had faster than standard twists and shoot very heavy for caliber bullets well. I have two custom .45 TC Omegas (an 18 and a 20 twist) that I primarily shoot. They are both very versatile. I’ve shot saboted and sized bullets from 195gr to 400 grains in each with sub-MOA accuracy.

In your situation, with a 28 twist .50 and bore-sized conicals (Colorado legal), you should be able to shoot most 250-300 ish gr bullets. The Bore Driver ELDX is actually fairly short for its weight (when you remove the base) and obviously shoots pretty well in your rifle. Wouldn’t be my choice in an elk bullet though. I’d go with a tougher bullet like a Thor 300 gr (if you could get them to shoot well).

OP
T
Thanks.
With my rifles it is recommend to drop all copper bullet weight and increase velocity in order to assure bullet expansion. Is this the same for muzzle loader? Do I need to shoot a 110 or a 120 with triple 7 or does it just depend on what my gun likes????

Last edited:
Yeah, you’ll just have to try it and see. The 300 gr Thor is likely on the edge lengthwise of what will shoot well in a 28 twist. I’d use a stout a load of powder as you can handle (that will shoot acceptable groups). I’m not saying you need to go that high, but 150 gr volume is the max 777 charge.