CVA Wolf Load Combos

Hey all,
Posted a few times here over the last few months. Just got into the smoke pole game and am expecting to be hunting the CO muzzy season. I bought a used CVA wolf and never got an owners manual or anything with it, so I am not sure what loads are within tolerance. The 2 loads I have experimented with is -
76 grains (weight) of T7 fffg with 270 grain Federal bor locks - 1708 fps

90 grains (weight) of T7 fffg with 290 grain Hornady boredrivers - 1829 fps

Using federal primers for both loads. How much fffg can I use without pushing the gun too far, is 90 already pushing it? I know you have to scale back a bit compared to ffg. Both loads have shot exceptionally well, with the extra power from the later being quite evident and preferred for elk imo. Any info would be appreciated as I am as green to this as it gets.

You aren’t anywhere near max loads. For subs, 150 gr volume is the max load (120 gr V max for BH209) in every modern inline I believe (higher in a couple including the Paramount, Peregrine, etc). Max loads are given in volume. I’d get a volume measure if you don’t have one and see what 150 gr weighs if you really want to weigh your loads. Then you’ll know what your max weighed charge is. For 2F 777 that will be around 123 grW and for 3F you should get about 128 grW.

Here’s a link to the wolf manual.

Back