Dagestan Tur in Azerbaijan

ozyclint

WKR
that is some incredible sedimentary deposits with intense folding. i've never seen anything like that. it would be fantastic to hunt such terrain.
congrats on a fine hunt and trophy of a lifetime.

immersing yourself in the local culture would have been a highlight and something to cherish.

congrats

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
Nice job man! I'm glad there is a still a country like that you can venture into for a hunt without worry of being shot at. Looks like some treacherous territory!

There are plenty. Most of the place you are hunting are quite remote so are pretty safe. Even Pakistan/Iran etc are safe you just don't hang around the city.

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
that is some incredible sedimentary deposits with intense folding. i've never seen anything like that. it would be fantastic to hunt such terrain.
congrats on a fine hunt and trophy of a lifetime.

immersing yourself in the local culture would have been a highlight and something to cherish.

congrats

Yeah the geology is fascinating. It is predominantly fine sedimentary layers that break off into 'pins' and 'plates' of shale. The pins are like walking on ball bearings and the plates are like walking on broken china - noisy and slippery. Not easy stuff to navigate through when you are trying to stalk in on bedded animals. There are also some minor volcanic formations with some amazing quartz crystals scattered throughout the mountains.

Holy Cow!! I thought our Dall sheep & Mtn goats lived in tough country; you gotta want one of those!! outstanding pics and story, Congrats

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
I've highlighted some of the Tur as they are hard to see in small pics.

DSC00217%20Hihglight_zpsfzgphtf0.jpg

DSC00129%20Highlight_zpsoczlghca.jpg

DSC00093%20Highlight_zpsb77risdq.jpg

I killed one of these billys in this spot
DSC00275%20Highlight_zpsud7mjdvm.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome post, pics, and story! I love how the guides are wearing rubber boots in terrain like that. Would they even consider a mountaineering-type boot?
WOW how did i miss this for so long?This was my first thought too rubber boots for that. Guides ankles must be same size as there calves. Thank you very much for taking such excellant pictures amazing adventure to some place i know ill never venture too

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
Very impressive country and animals. Dang demon horns on those things. Takes a man to navigate that country.

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
Congrats. It is on my list almost pulled the trigger this year but decided to hold off.

It's definitely a rewarding hunt. Flick me a message before you book a hunt. There are a lot of things to look out for

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations! Azerbaijan is an amazing place. The geology and the way you can see the rocks fold is awesome. Tur had been on my bucket list since I was a little kid. I went in 2013 in the Sheki area. Where did you hunt?

Craig4791

WKR
Nice work! Tur is high on my list. Who did you go with if you don't mi d me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
Congratulations! Azerbaijan is an amazing place. The geology and the way you can see the rocks fold is awesome. Tur had been on my bucket list since I was a little kid. I went in 2013 in the Sheki area. Where did you hunt?

I hunted in the Ismailly area.