Dall sheep status southern yukon

outahand

FNG
any one have any info on dall sheep population , seems numbers were down last few years due to weather

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
The SW Yukon around Kluane lake has seen the biggest declines in their sheep populations. We've had a few years of heavy snowfall that resulted in some tough winters for sheep in those regions. YG is now discussing bringing in some adaptive management for zones in the SW for the 2024 hunting season.

OP
outahand

outahand

FNG
The SW Yukon around Kluane lake has seen the biggest declines in their sheep populations. We've had a few years of heavy snowfall that resulted in some tough winters for sheep in those regions. YG is now discussing bringing in some adaptive management for zones in the SW for the 2024 hunting season.
I had heard some talk of that , thanks for that ,its good to know the YG is going to do something about that

cbeard64

WKR
Dang I sure hate to hear that. Took a beautiful Dall ram in that region in 2017. Populations were robust then with lots of mature rams on the landscape. Breathtaking country.

OP
outahand

outahand

FNG
Dang I sure hate to hear that. Took a beautiful Dall ram in that region in 2017. Populations were robust then with lots of mature rams on the landscape. Breathtaking country.
The good news is it sounds like YG is going to do something about it

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I had heard some talk of that , thanks for that ,its good to know the YG is going to do something about that
Here is the release of some of the sheep survey data for the Kluane Lake region (https://yukon.ca/sites/yukon.ca/files/env/kluane_region_sheep_population_surveys_2023_-_summary.pdf). Wait and see what YG proposes, historically they have reduced resident and outfitter hunting opportunities in response to population declines. I wouldn't think they have the funds to explore any other options at the moment.

OP
outahand

outahand

FNG

ACK8

FNG
I hunted the SW Yukon this past August (east side of Kluane Lake) on an outfitted hunt and according to my guide, his estimate was the population was down about 20%. We saw 27 rams (7 legal) and about 50 lambs and ewes during my hunt.

Sneaker

FNG
Not great news, especially considering that I am booked with Mervyn’s in 2025, whose concession covers some of this area.