Daughters and Hunting

GoatPackr

WKR
This one isn't into pulling the trigger but I'm working on that. She enjoys going with and being in the woods.
Kris

Attachments

• 20230820_090537.jpg
    20230820_090537.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 54

Matt9122

FNG
Took my 6 year old little girl to Arkansas last year and had the same thing happen. We saw a shooter doe and she said, please don't. I gladly passed on the shot and was able to enjoy the time in the woods with my little girl. This year she wants to go back, so maybe she'll be ready.......or maybe not. But I have a feeling if I did shoot that deer, she wouldn't want to go again. I will gladly pass on a trophy buck this year if it means my daughter wants to keep going out. She'll come around eventually and I'll gladly wait until she does.

GoatPackr

WKR
Took my 6 year old little girl to Arkansas last year and had the same thing happen. We saw a shooter doe and she said, please don't. I gladly passed on the shot and was able to enjoy the time in the woods with my little girl. This year she wants to go back, so maybe she'll be ready.......or maybe not. But I have a feeling if I did shoot that deer, she wouldn't want to go again. I will gladly pass on a trophy buck this year if it means my daughter wants to keep going out. She'll come around eventually and I'll gladly wait until she does.
It's probably really difficult for most guys to understand your logic but as a dad of 2 daughters I totally get it.
The horns don't matter as much as the time spent.

Kris

I haven't forced it per se' on my girls... It's just a way of life around our house, and has been as long as they can remember. We fish, shoot gophers, etc... I make a big deal when they kill a deer, and make it a fun outing where they get snacks and dad's one-on-one attention.

So far it seems to be working, but at 12 and 13 (14 tomorrow) I always let them choose if they want to go or not. If they aren't feeling up to it I let them stay home and don't guilt trip them.

Here's a hunt from just over a week ago. My older daughter's first with a bow!

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I have 4 daughters: 12, 10, 5, and 2. The 12 year old doesn’t want to hunt but she does not object to my hunting and will eat some game meat

My 10 year old likes it and shot her first deer (and buck) this past December - what an amazing time. Whew…

I think small game hunting - paired with explaining where our food comes from - played a big part of my 10 year olds interest. She loves dove hunting - started shooting last year, has been tag along deer hunting with me for a few years, and is pumped to turkey hunt this year. She saw me routinely clean doves and squirrels at home - I always made sure I did that at the house and gave them the chance, not forced, to watch and ask questions. I also took every chance I had to explain the biology and anatomy of the animals. My wife has also been very supportive of our view on hunting and where our food comes - that’s helped a lot.

Lastly, and I learned this from a Johnny Mosley video on getting kids interested in skiing - make it as fun as possible. I always bring a bag of M&Ms or some kind of treat: cheesy I know but it helps. We do slope snacks on the ski mountain. I also bring them along on the whole experience. One year Santa brought a deer camera 😂. I also let her put some kind of girly touch on things - I saw a picture of @Formidilosus shooting a tikka having a stock that was painted by a kid… maybe I’m wrong. I think that’s an awesome idea and one I’ll use with my 10 year old.

At 4 / 6, my 10 year old barely showed interest but I was teaching her the things that I think lead to her current interest. As for my 12 year old - and in this comes advise - I think she was influenced by her maternal, and possibly paternal, grandmother 😤 so be cautious of what they are hearing from others who have some amount of influence.

Lastly, hunt or no hunt, it’s really about time with our kids and loving the outdoors. Enjoy every second… just yesterday, my 12 year old was learning to walk.

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpeg
    IMG_2784.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 15

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I also let her put some kind of girly touch on things - I saw a picture of @Formidilosus shooting a tikka having a stock that was painted by a kid… maybe I’m wrong. I think that’s an awesome idea and one I’ll use with my 10 year old.

It was a buddy, and it’s a splendid idea.

The rifle his daughters painted, with the hide from the elk he killed with it that is going on their bed-

IMG_4658.jpeg

Uphills

FNG
My oldest daughter loves all wildlife and being outdoors as often as she can. She’s a natural, picking up snakes and sneaking up on deer in the woods. She can spot them too. I kept asking for her to go go hunting with me but finally as a teenager she went along. She’s been on 2 DIY elk hunts with me and we harvested a nice cow on the second try. She helped me process that entire elk and several deer over the years. She can cook up some tasty venison recipes too. I couldn’t be more proud of her and wouldn’t feel right pressuring her to hunt. She does everything but pull the trigger and thats ok with me.

Or.hunter

WKR
My daughters 15 now, killed her first blacktail when she was 9 and has been on a roll ever since. She looks forward to it as much as I do every year. I believe with all the social media and technology they need a break. Here’s a couple studs she’s laid down the past few years.

Buck 1
6f0b9adbb1de4bac6b390bbe9c1db2b7.jpg

Buck2
cda4e117e331577a602dbd201cdf0f76.jpg

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
I took my 6 and 9 year old out quail hunting for their first foray into hunting. They took their BB guns and I stressed and made sure they understood how to carry them safely. We got into a covey in a small draw and I shot one, told the girls to go find it, and continued up and got another. The 6 year old found the 1st bird and the 9 year old had finished it off. The 9 year old is now completing her hunter education and is in the draw for youth elk and antelope. In true rokslide fashion shes got a Tikka t3x compact .223 with a Trijicon Huron 3-9x40 on the way :)

Last edited:

CMF

WKR
They're definitely not too young to be going. I'm sure many can get into it later just the same, but mine has been in the blind with me as young as 3 and on the gun since 6. She didn't actually get her first deer til 8. She has been around several deer kills and the skinning rack growing up so it's not new to her when she finally got one down.
I think if seeing a turkey die is too much, maybe start with fish, but seeing animals die, get cleaned, and get cooked and eaten needs to be normalized if they're going to get into it, even if they're not pulling the trigger.
One of my sons didn't like to pick up fish early on, but just keep encouraging him and now it's not even a thought.
My daughter has got several whitetails over the years, her first elk this year with a muzzy, and an oryx last year. I can't say she'll stick with it forever, she doesn't have the same passion as one of my boys has for fishing, which can only be described as obsessed, but she now has the skills needed to hunt, navigate the woods, clean and pack out an animal, and cook it
DSC_9585-2.JPG

My daughter started going with me when she was about 6. She is a big time daddy’s girl and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I always give her the choice to go and it’s always a yes. She loves being outside fishing, hunting or camping. She saw her first deer kill at 8 and had no issues with it but wasn’t touching anything once the work began lol. But it has been her choice to go from the start. There has been a lot of time with no kills but the time spent was more enjoyable anyway.

Don't force it, things will happen if they happen. I have a 5 and 9 year old. My oldest had only been on a couple hunts when she was much younger. This year we committed more time to big game hunting but I waited for her to be ready. If she didn't feel like going one day, we didn't go. We went a few times and saw a lot of game. We/she decided to pass on a few deer as she wanted to keep hunting, walking around looking at deer and eating snacks, so we did that. We had loads of fun and that's what's important. I want her to like hunting, last thing I want is to force her to do something she dislikes or force it on her and turn her away from it.

My 5 yo is a lot more vocal about wanting to hunt and I think she probably will be a lot more into it down the line. I'll probably take her out next season if I feel she's ready. For now she comes with me to shoot, check cameras or shed hunting.

20231202_155530.jpg
20231113_111102.jpg
20231107_111858.jpg

Last edited:

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
Alright fellas, figured I'd at least ask just to see what others have done. The good Lord knew I needed a challenge in life so has blessed me with two daughters (4 & 6) -- who are starting to grow up with soft hearts to just about all animals. I don't want to tear that out of them, but also would be great if I could get at least one of them as a hunting buddy :ROFLMAO:

I've at least taught them where their food comes from, they don't mind that. They just don't want to see it happen. Prime example, took my oldest turkey hunting with me a couple times this year. She thoroughly enjoyed it. Finally called one within shooting range, and just as I was about to pull the trigger I hear "Please don't shoot him daddy. Let's just take a picture." So guess what... I didn't shoot him. (We also didn't get a picture cause about 2 seconds later he was running back where he came from.) If she can't see a turkey die, then I am 100% positive deer or any other animal is out of the question either.

What's the consensus here. Should I wait till a bit older? Or just introduce her to the harsh reality and see what happens?
I have a 10 year old daughter that loves to hunt, but with me. We have had the discussion about her shooting game, and even though she likes to shoot a .22 at the range, she does not want to harvest something on her own. This may change as she gets older, and she may want to harvest something, but in the end , I'm just happy that she knows where the meat comes from, and likes to tag along.

We live on Cape Cod, and her real only hunting exposure is me, as we do not live in a hunting community and none of her friends hunt, nor do their parents. I do think that if we lived somewhere where hunting was ingrained in the culture/community, it would certainly be different, but at the end of the day, she loves to fish, and does not get squeamish around dead waterfowl or large game, so I cannot complain.
IMG_5225.jpeg

Pokerface

FNG
Just spend time with them while you can . Whether it be hunting, fishing , or painting fingernails. Daughters x 4 here, took them everywhere in the woods, young and often. Had some grand times. They all are shooters, all love the outdoors, but can "clean up good" and wear dresses when the want to. Still have 2 that are still hunting in their 20's. No time is wasted with time spent with family and friends... Joe

repins05

WKR
My secret ......... I started young and tried to make it an event. I make it a point to eat breakfast at a restaurant.....maybe stop for dinner or get ice cream after an evening hunt. If I am cooking, it will be their favorite foods. I have always let my daughters pick out their favorite junk foods and drinks to put in their pack or have in the truck. I will change it up day to day if possible. I will also make sure that sometime in the afternoon we get back to camp to take a long nap. If the weather cooperates, I will let them know that they can take a nap in the warm sun waiting for an evening hunt while I glass. Basically ....spoil them. I don't push them hard but also don't let them be lazy. No phone unless it is onX or taking pictures. I get stopped frequently for pictures and just go with the flow. I have noticed that every year they are maturing and are becoming more focused on the hunt instead of the extracurricular activities we did when they were younger.

TetonRecon

Lil-Rokslider
I have three daughters ages 12, 10, 7, no sons. My wife is a converted city girl. They all dance and are girly girls, but also love camping, hunting and fishing. I've tried to teach them that God put these animals on the earth for us to manage, take care of, and use for our food. There's absolutely nothing wrong with killing a ground squirrel in a hay field or a buck on the mountain. There's purpose behind why we hunt. Every year since they were born I've tried to take them to multiple 3D archery shoots. It's an easy way to get out in the woods for a few hours, teach them the general safety rules, fling a few arrows, have a snack and go home. You gotta start them really slow or they'll hate it! Make it about them, not you. Sometimes I don't even carry my bow, just take score for them and watch. They have also grown up shooting their little savage rascal .22 rifles at the range. Our local club has a special .22 rimfire only bay with small silhouettes of chickens and pigs. I give them cans of pink and white spray paint and let them go to town! They paint them all up, then knock em all down. I never limit ammo and just let them shoot as much as they want. When they are done we pack up and go home. I think these activities have really created a shooting mentality within them. They know why we practice, so when it's go time they never hesitate to pull that trigger.

I started teaching my older girl a lot more about shooting when she turned 8. She was curious, and I fed that desire to learn. She's very smart and wanted to know all about the ballistics, minute of angle, wind deflection, as well as proper shooting techniques. Now she has her own suppressed Tikka compact in a 6.5 CM, shoots targets out past 600 yards, reloads her own ammo, has memorized the 4 general firearm safety rules, can completely tear down and reassemble an AR-15 in a couple minutes and has taken several game species before the age of 12. She's also a very accomplished competitive dancer and team captain. As proud of her as I am, I realize she's kind of an anomaly. They don't all have that kind of intensity and drive, and that is totally ok! Her youngest sister likes to just "chill" with dad and watch movies in our camper. I enjoy both equally.

I just think that you should give them all the opportunity that you can afford and let them develop at their own pace, but also don't be afraid to challenge them. The world, social media, television, their friends, etc will all soften them and tell them it's weird to hunt or kill things. Don't shelter them. Tell them we kill to live. Let them see blood when they are young, and tell them it's not gross! Show them the meat and tell them it's totally normal. This is our nature, we are hard wired for it.

Good luck OP and don't worry too much about it. Keep them interested, give them opportunities, and make it fun. Make the effort to just get them out, even if you have to leave after sunrise. Bring lots of snacks, take lots of pictures, listen to their crappy music, teach them what real music is (90's Rock), pick flowers, and just be in the moment. Never regret having a daughter instead of a son. Someone has to take care of you when you're old and senile!

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1828.jpeg

IMG_1830.jpeg