Debating Changing Arrows Up This Year

TX_Diver

WKR
Been using black eagle rampages the past few years and have no real complaints but I'm getting to the point where I'd need to build more so just debating whether to stay the course or switch it up a bit.

Right now I've got them setup with the standard half-outs and 4 fletch w/ max stealths. They shoot good but I wasn't really happy with the last batch I got and how they spun though. I think it's related to the half out as all but one of the shafts spun fine to start with. I put them together as described by black eagle, spun with the half-outs in and rotated them until they spun true, then marked the alignment, glued em in, etc. By the time I got to the last few though I felt like I'd used up the good half-outs and I couldn't get the last 3-4 to spin well at all regardless of halfout orientation. In hindsight I should've just ordered more half-outs but I didn't know better back when I first started doing this.

So now it's the end of the year and I'm low on (good spinning) arrows now so trying to decide if I want to keep building more of the same or change it up a bit. I like the rampages for the price/weight/diameter, etc. so I'll probably stay with BE, but debating if it's worth trying the FOCOS outserts instead. And then at that point if I'm going to a new system should I try something like the X-impact and see what the microdiameter craze is about.

So really just kinda throwing it out there to see if anyone here switched to the FOCOS outserts over the standard halfouts and thinks they are a better system?

Cheers.

Sick with the rampages, use brass hits or steel iron will hits, add a iron will footer ...you will have a very solid set that will start and stay square.

What your going through with half outs is common. More so that they wont stay square after some lateral force is applied to them.

That's what has happened to every half-out or outsert that I've tried. That's why I only use HIT's in the .204" ID arrows. I have arrows that I put together back in 2007 and 2008 that still spin true with the HIT's.

Right on.

Are the Iron Will inserts any different/better than the Easton HITs?

The Iron Will HITs are $20/6 vs Easton being $12/12 from what I can see.

As the collar is separate I don't see why an Easton Insert wouldn't work with an Iron Will collar?

I also need to look up brass vs stainless but I imagine there are already plenty of threads on that.

Consistent BH accuracy hinges on the straightness of the Arrow/BH connection....a few one thousands off in the 1 1/2" of the BH on the steering end of your arrow is a big deal- that arrow will wobble.

The half out is a flawed system. Its much tougher to get the tolerances as accurate as needed to get them perfectly straight.

Then there is the variance in arrow tolerance to factor in-

A long insert is a superior system, it draws from the straightness of the shaft if installed correctly- ie thick epoxy that also acts as a filler. The engineers that designed these arrows knew what they were doing.

Last edited:
I won't use half outs just because of that reason. It is either an Ethics Outsert system or a Footed HIT insert like what Ironwill has.

I have been using the deep impacts for 2 seasons and absolutely love them. With the standard outsert they come with and 125 grain arrow I sit at 475 grains which i personally believe is in the sweet spot for weight combined with shooting in the upper 270s low 280s. Very stout for me, have even pulled them out of some tree trunks shooting 3D and still shoot great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back