Decked truck storage quedtions?

use two 2x6's placed lengthways in bed between the wells then cover them with 3/4" ply works great for sliding gun cases and other skinny stuff under leaving the top for bigger bulkier items. you could make some drawers to slide under as well. a third 2x6 is needed for between the other two to prevent sagging if you really weigh it down. have used this same rack for two ford pu's and many trips to prairie dog towns

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Like swampfox said, we have built a similar model for 30 yrs.,for construction tool storage. 2x10's (4), one along each edge running the 8' length, 2 down the middle w/ 3" between them, 1/2"plywd. on the btm., 5/8" plywd. on top. Build drawers to fit the openings out of 3/4" plywd, w/dividers and lift out trays over storage areas. The area in the middle is for building levels, put the 8' in first (btm.) and all will pull out. It will haul a lot of hand tools, leaving room on top for the big items. If your not putting levels down the middle, you could just use one (2x10).
Mike

coop2424

WKR
What was said above is what I did in my last truck and have been thinking of doing it again for the truck I have now. Nice to have for organization. I did a trap door in the front by cab for things that didn't get to often.

Bonasa

FNG
I have a decked storage system for my truck. I like it. Storage on all four corners, two easily operated wheeled trays, waterproof, durable, and allows for considerable storage that is accessible with a truck cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pyroducksx3
Is the lock strong enough or does it feel like you could pull hard enough to just rip it open? It looked like my 56" rifle will fit in the trays its just hard to pull the trigger without even seeing one.

Last edited:
OP
pyroducksx3
To all the guys with the plywood designs, I appreciate them. I originally had started out wanting to to that, then truck vault but price was ridiculous. This seems like a middle ground where I get a reasonable system with locking waterproof drawers on wheels.

Bonasa

FNG
When I ordered mine, the lock was an accessory. Since my tailgate locks, I didn't feel it was necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pyroducksx3
Yeah I was worried about people just busting a window and unlocking the doors, hence the tailgate as well. I was thinking of putting a manual key lock on the handle as well for days when I want it double secure. Then just using the regular power locks for convenience when nothing too special is in them