Deep fryer

ODB

WKR
Tell me your experience with deep fryers. Basically need something that I can fry fish, fries and scotch eggs etc. Lean toward quality/longevity over disposable trash.

Grew up on a fry daddy - figure newer ones might be better? Hit me up.

Ucsdryder

WKR
It’s like a deep frier except your arteries don’t clog and you don’t die early!

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I baked the last round of scotch eggs in our convection toaster oven. I believe this is the same device as an air fryer with a non fancy name. They were just as good as deep frying. To add, I did baste them on the top with a tiny bit of olive oil.

People who use air fryers also grill up impossible burgers from what I hear....

I got some double burner deep fryer from Walmart and have a big fish fry once a month do about 8 to 10 pounds of halibut per fry and works good. The big propane deep fryers are.even better though. Fried up 10 pounds of halibut in 20 minutes or so using the big propane burner deep fryer. Would taken twice as long in the electric walmart fryer.

I also only use peanut oil and will use it from 3 to 5 sessions depending on how it's looking.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

Both fryers have their place, but an air fryer is NOTHING like a deep fryer. I have had multiple buddies claim they have air frying figured out, only to try their fish and shake my head.
I have 2 el Cheapo fryers, 1 small, 1 large. I am no help for a high quality one.

Reactions: ODB

NRA4LIFE

WKR
We tried baking chicken wings in the convection oven/air fryer, once. The entire house smelled bad for a week. I deep fry the wings outside now on a propane stand cooker. They are better deep fried.

For cooking fish, the frying saucer is pretty good. It runs on propane so it’s an outdoor activity. It has a deeper spot in the center for the oil, then you move the fish to the outside rim to keep it warm while you cook the next batch.

The fry daddy is old school, but still a good option as well.

Wife got me this for my birthday, gotta admit it's a game changer and works great. It's got a drain in the bottom with a screen, flip a switch and the oil stains into a sealed holding container, pop the pan out and give it a rinse and you're done. Zero mess cleaning it and saves all my oil.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240512-220559.png
    Screenshot_20240512-220559.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20240512-220623.png
    Screenshot_20240512-220623.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 82

twall13

WKR
Wife got me this for my birthday, gotta admit it's a game changer and works great. It's got a drain in the bottom with a screen, flip a switch and the oil stains into a sealed holding container, pop the pan out and give it a rinse and you're done. Zero mess cleaning it and saves all my oil.
I have the Tfal as well and like it for what it is. Ours leaks a bit over time but overall we've been happy with it. The drain/filter is a great idea and works pretty well. As far as what I would consider "light duty residential units" it would still probably be my pick. Some day I'll likely upgrade to an outdoor propane unit.

As far as air fryers go, we also own one and where they shine for me is reheating fried food. They will crisp fried food up nicely the next day.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

^yeah I have a huge stainless high BTU burner for turkeys and crawfish type stuff, very large fish fries. That Tfal so far has been good for a small fish fry for family dinner or fries and hush puppies for dinner. I don't mind cooking small batches of stuff because the cleanup is so easy.

I've got the same type and I've been using it since 2020 with no issues. It's been a great fryer, and I mainly cook fish, elk, and fries. I keep adding oil as it drops and then filter it occasionally using the drain setting. Once the oil gets a little funky I dump it back into an empty and save it for bear baiting.

Yoder

WKR
If you don't want to die from heart disease, deep fry in lard or tallow. Seed oils are what's killing people. Also use pork rinds for breading to eliminate the processed flour. I run them through the food processor then add whatever seasoning I like.