Deer hunters and sunscreen?

jw710

FNG
Hey Guys,

Posted this thread on general forum but wanted to get a more specific deer hunters opinion.

I was out there in Montana on a deer/elk hunt two weeks ago under a blaring sun for hours on end. My face got scorched.

I know a lot of deer/elk hunters try to mitigate their scent while hunting

but I'm wondering as hunters would you

Purchase and use a 100% scent-free high SPF sunscreen that is specifically formulated for deer hunters?

I see a lot of sunscreen products that state frangrance or scent free but ultimately have a scent to them that might scare off your game.

I thought deer hunters especially need protection from skin damage and skin cancer due to the hours and days they spend in the extreme elements.

Thx for your opinion.

J

EdP

WKR
Protecting your skin from sunburn is important, but there are other ways than using sunscreen. Just get a proper hat.

FairWeatherFisher

Lil-Rokslider
I always wear sunscreen. Pretty much everything in my house is fragrance free, as it tends to irritate my skin (and I hate all the scents), but nonetheless there is always a smell just from the ingredients.

I’m no expert hunter, but I don’t think there’s any hiding your scent no matter how many fancy scent killer products you use. The deer’s noses are just too good.

Use what you need to to keep yourself comfortable, and keep an eye on the wind.

TxxAgg

WKR
I would just wear a hat or buff. I don't like rubbing that greasy on me unless I have to at the pool.

OXN939

WKR
Buff would be my first option. As mentioned above, a lot of sunscreens are really much worse for you than a bad sunburn and contain carcinogenic chemicals that readily cross the blood-brain barrier. It's been noted for decades that fishing lures contaminated with sunscreen catch fewer fish because of the scent of those chemicals. If you use sunscreen, get a mineral based formula that does not have oxybenzone, avobenzone or octocrylene.

Buff would be my first option. As mentioned above, a lot of sunscreens are really much worse for you than a bad sunburn and contain carcinogenic chemicals that readily cross the blood-brain barrier. It's been noted for decades that fishing lures contaminated with sunscreen catch fewer fish because of the scent of those chemicals. If you use sunscreen, get a mineral based formula that does not have oxybenzone, avobenzone or octocrylene.
I remember one hot spring day fishing spring chinook, it was like 90 and I decided to put sunscreen on since I hadn’t had a lot of sun at that point in the year

I always wear nitrile gloves when fishing cured eggs, and about 20 minutes after putting gloves on to start fishing, the back of the gloves (top of my hands) was completely melting, I decided I will take my chances with the sun

Luckily, after a few nice days of warm weather, I don’t burn. One benefit of being a mutt I guess