Dehydrated meal boil in bags

I looked around for an upgrade to ziplock and wanted to save weight not having to bring a container to rehydrate in. I ordered the boil in bags from Pack it Gourmet and they just arrived. By boil in it means you can pour boiling water in them to rehydrate food. Not sure if that was obvious. They seem to be just the ticket. Thought I would share for anyone looking for the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a little confused by your post. Most all freeze dried and dehydrated meal companies meals come packaged in a bag you can pour boiling water into. Mountain house, alpine aire, backpackers pantry, heathers choice, etc(I know there are a lot more). I've been emptying my mountain house meals into one quart ziplock bags to save space, and then putting the ziplock into one clean mountain house bag, double bagged, for cooking. Pour boiling water into the ziplock, zip both zippers, give it 10 or so minutes and eat. I reuse the same clean mountain house bag the whole hunt, used ziplock bags compress much smaller and easier to pack out. What was your aversion to ziplock?

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
I just buy the freezer bags from Walmart, alot cheaper and you can pour boiling water right into them, I made my own re- hydrator out of some refletix from a window sun shade....just put the freezer bag in the refletix bag and wait 10 min and it ready..

OP
seldomseensmith
So the reason I was looking for an upgrade is because on several occasions the dried food has poked holes in the ziplock bags. Because of that I took to rehydrating my meals in a separate bowl. These bags are more rigid plastic much like the commercial freeze dried meals come in. Obviously many different ways to approach it but my thinking is now i only need one pot to boil water in and one cup to drink coffee out of. The reusing MH bag idea is nice but I know myself too well that I wouldn't be up for the cleaning.

I do something similar...
Buy the MH meals and dump them into vacuum sealer bags and seal them up.
Cut the bags tall, makes pouring in the water and allowing the meal to sit and steep easier.
Then just eat right out of the vacuum sealer bag.
Cuts way down on weight, volume and trash.