Thoughts from Backpacking Experts - Hiking in from Up Top

Hunt Style - Solo Bivy/Spike camp. 2nd week of Sept. Colorado.
I'll have a basecamp at a friends cabin about 8 miles via ATV trail from where I plan to hunt. I plan to spend 6 nights in the field, with a mid-week run back to the cabin for a shower, clothing change as needed, and reload on food.

The area I'm researching would have me able to take the ATV up and over the primary mountain (13,200') that I plan to hunt the various drainages from. And essentially park it along a ridge line and then hike down in to the drainages. I figure I'll end up 1-3 miles from and roughly 500'-1000' elev below the ATV for my spike camp.

Obvious Advantages:
- Glassing the drainages from up top, will ideally help me locate Elk before hiking down in to a drainage.
- Quicker Access to treeline areas of drainages compared to truck hunters parking 7 miles and 2200' down hill at trailheads.

Obvious Disadvantage:
- Hiking back up to the ATV or to pack out.
(Depending on potential kill location, I can coordinate with my buddy back at camp to have him bring the truck and or ATVs around the other side of the mountain.)

So for my questions:
- How high have you comfortably camped? I'm looking at elevations between 10,600-12,000 depending on if/when/where I find elk.
- With hiking down instead of hiking up, how would that change your approach to your spike camp location or any other major planning decisions.

Would appreciate any and all advice you'd be willing to share.

Signed,
a FNG

Only consideration I’d have camping about tree line is the weather in colorado, otherwise that’s probably the plan I’d go with. Being able to glass down is much better in my mind.

bz_711

WKR
Be mindful of thermals...wind going down in the morning and at night.
Good plan overall...just don't camp at the head of drainages you want to hunt.

Good Luck!

wyogoat

WKR
Where I camp in Wyoming at one spot I have is right at 10,000 and I hunt down from there. You mentioned having to hike up at the end of the hunt and all your meat packing will be uphill so as long as you mentally prepare for that you should be ok.
Another disadvantage is the wind thermals are against you in the morning and in the afternoon if you hike up on the warmer part of the day but there are ways around that I think but just be aware. I usually don’t climb out until it cools enough that the thermals are in my favor at the end of the day.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
How altitude adapted are you?

Sleeping high and spending the day low is the opposite of what should be done to adapt.

OP
OkiechasingElk
How altitude adapted are you?

Sleeping high and spending the day low is the opposite of what should be done to adapt.
Sitting at 1100' at home....LOL

Last year I was up in the same area for 2nd Rifle. Cabin was around 9400' and same day we arrived we went up for an evening hunt and I was suffering a bit hiking around. (I also had been awake for 32 hours straight. Probably had some additional effect....lol) Next day, I hunted all day around 10,500'-11,000' with no major effects. Typically I adjust within a day every time I've been to CO and been between 8-10k almost yearly.

We should arrive mid-day after driving over night. Might glass/scout 1st evening, sleep at the cabin, then pack in before sunrise the next day. Give my body a little more time to adapt.

The area I'm researching would have me able to take the ATV up and over the primary mountain (13,200') that I plan to hunt the various drainages from. And essentially park it along a ridge line and then hike down in to the drainages. I figure I'll end up 1-3 miles from and roughly 500'-1000' elev below the ATV for my spike camp.

I would probably be camping by the ATV if it wasn't in the drainages I wanted to hunt. 1 mile from your hunting area isn't that bad of a walk.

Your plan sounds very solid! My favorite ridge to camp and start my hunts from is a little lower than the surrounding ridges on 2 sides and I can come down even lower on top of elk on 2 other sides. We've had them above, below and on our ridge. That is when I'm lucky enough to draw that unit.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Camped at 12000 and camped at 6500 all depends on where will give me the best play. I generally don’t worry about the pack out… but packing up hill for 2-3 miles is not fun always best to pack down hill. Pay attention to how you feel. AMS can strike even people who are acclimated/ in great shape if you ascend too quickly. Remember the only thing that helps is losing elevation and hace/hape are no joke and can kill ya

To answer your question directly, I've camped as high as 11,700ft with no ill effects aside from being a little chilly.

I would just make sure my wind was going down the side of the mountain I didn't plan to hunt.

Otherwise I think you have a solid plan. One time had to pack a bull up 1000 ft, two dudes, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Poser

WKR
I camp high, above 12k quite often in the summer when out glassing and want to sleep as close as possible to my glassing spot. Have a shelter that can take some wind, maybe don’t be the tallest feature around to avoid lightning.

I’ll add that you should leave some rodent repellent in and around your ATV.

OP
OkiechasingElk
I’ll add that you should leave some rodent repellent in and around your ATV.

Interesting. Can you be more specific on what you typically do? Kinda out of left field. Lol. But I definitely get the risk of showing back up to gnawed on wires.

Sounds like a solid plan to me. I would definitely not leave a full size vehicle that high during hunting season, but with an ATV I say go for it. I'd keep a strong eye on the weather though, checking it via Inreach if you have one, looking out for any snowstorms.
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Interesting. Can you be more specific on what you typically do? Kinda out of left field. Lol. But I definitely get the risk of showing back up to gnawed on wires.

I use this product, which was recommended here on rokslide. I place it around my engine bay, usually near the bottom, anytime I park in the high country. I double bag it for storage when not in use. Rodents, including marmots, eat vehicle wiring all of the time. On an atv, you should also consider your seats and grips.

Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent - Environmentally Friendly, Keeps Mice Out, 4 Scent Pouches https://a.co/d/fYdKfV7

Derbooze

FNG
The only thing I'll add is that camping at high elevation disrupts my sleep until I am acclimated. Even when I lived in CO, I camped a lot at elevations close or above 12,000 ft and I had a tendency to toss and turn the first night.

And definitely watch the weather. I know a few people who have had to ditch their ATV's because of an unexpected snow storm. Other than that, sounds like a decent plan on your end.

LostArra

WKR
I use this product, which was recommended here on rokslide. I place it around my engine bay, usually near the bottom, anytime I park in the high country. I double bag it for storage when not in use. Rodents, including marmots, eat vehicle wiring all of the time. On an atv, you should also consider your seats and grips.

Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent - Environmentally Friendly, Keeps Mice Out, 4 Scent Pouches https://a.co/d/fYdKfV7
Fresh Cab works well in enclosed spaces.

My buddy uses some bitter spray on his seat after some horses ripped his seat apart. Should work for rodents since I'm guessing rodents aren't the calculating vandals that horses are.