Dehydrators

Jakev_93

FNG
Not sure where this belonged but I’m in the market for a dehydrator. Just want your opinions price range goes to about $200 unless you absolutely recommend me getting something, then I may consider. Just want to make jerky to bring to work and dehydrate fruits. Batch size would matter because I’d rather make a big mess and be done then a bunch of small messes. Thanks for your input and cheers

willidru

WKR
I also have a 9 tray Excalibur with a timer, worked great for jerky. Not sure on what I paid, but can guarantee it was on sale.

Jimbob

WKR
I have a cheap one I got at a yard sale, it does everything that I want but with a little inconvenience.

Prepping F\for my sheep and goat hunts, it's been running overtime, spaghetti, orzo sausage soup, chilli, macaroons, and fruit leather. Mine takes longer than recipe recommendations and it has no timer. I had to get up every hour the other night to check when my fruit leather was done, finished up at 2:30 am when the recipe said it should have been done by 10:30 pm.

You can make the cheap ones work BUT if this is something you are going to do regularly than spend the money.

I just watched a great video on these from some dude's youtube channel called "Kevin Outdoors" I think. He boiled it down to a few key things that he felt were important.

1) a Thermostat (differentiate temp for meats vs fruits/vegs)
2) Capacity

And I forget the others. At any rate, I bought into his points and got the same model (He was not promoting them, just used it as an example) - Nesco FD75. I added trays to get it to twelve and also fruit trays for doing wet/liquid things. My main intended use is the garden and some backcountry meals.

With all the extra trays it was under $200

You want a side mounted fan and element on your dehydrator. A side mounted fan and element results in even drying. Excalibur was one of the first to use this method which explains their popularity.
I purchased a LEM Big Bite dehydrator. It uses the same method of drying as the Excalibur but is made of stainless steel not plastic. LEM had a sale a couple of months back and I purchased the Stainless Big Bite dehydrator with 12hr timer, upgraded with stainless steel racks. The patty, jerky, snack stick attachment for my grinder. And the 2 in 1 jerky slicer/ meat tenderizer attachment for my grinder. With the sale I paid just over $600 for all three. According to Excalibur’s website their 10 tray models start at $599. I am not knocking Excalibur, they put out an quality product. I just think you get a better value with LEM.
As a side note my setup holds about 20lbs of meat at a time. You will be surprised at how fast a family of four can go through that much jerky when they are forced to stay home.

KBC

WKR
Excalibur 9 tray with timer at Costco was around $250 Canadian.
don’t get one without a timer, temperature adjustment and side fan.
If you get one with a fan on the bottom, eventually it fills upwith junk and is harder to clean.
My mom still has my grandma’s Excalibur that’s probably 40 years old and it still works.

OP
J

Jakev_93

FNG
Thanks everyone I’ll be looking into getting an Excalibur in the next few days. I’m going to check out that lem one and compare them both.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the Weston Pro dehydrators, especially in comparison with the LEM. I'm looking to upgrade.

Also, if you buy a unit w/o a timer it is no big deal. Just buy a plug in turn off timer off amazon (or whereever) and use that. Cheap and works great. I've been doing it that way for years with my 30 year harvest master.

Wrench

WKR
Sportsman's warehouse honored a price match from home depot online on the big LEM. For $200 you can't beat it.

I did 50 pounds of jerky in 24 hours.

Now i dehydrate my meals vs mtn house.

gearguywb

WKR
We bought a Meat 10 tray last year and have used it quite a bit for jerky as well as fruit. Really happy with it so far

NDGuy

WKR
Use camel camel camel or honey and price track Amazon wait for the Excalibur 9 tray to go on sale. I got mine for $190. It has dipped to sub $220 a few times the last 3 years.