DeLorme inReach

If you want to use it for position updates, texting and SOS, how can you expect it to have a fully charged battery all the time?

if you already have a Sat phone and PLB then an inReach probably won't give you anything more aside from tracking.

Perfectly said.

colonel00

WKR
Josh,

Does the tracking ever go to "sleep" if the unit does not move for a while? For instance, if I leave it on at night accidentally and its position doesn't change, does it keep pinging every 10 minutes? I can go back and look at my last tracks but I figured I'd be lazy and just ask you :D

joshmo

Lil-Rokslider
Josh,

Does the tracking ever go to "sleep" if the unit does not move for a while? For instance, if I leave it on at night accidentally and its position doesn't change, does it keep pinging every 10 minutes? I can go back and look at my last tracks but I figured I'd be lazy and just ask you :D

It does! If you are stationary, it wont stack a bunch of points on top of each other. I dont recall right off hand the movement threshold for restarting tracking, but its not so small an area that moving around a camp fire would turn it back on.

Bearshirt

FNG
I have looked over the subscription rates and Im wondering if you guys can clarify somehting for me. So I would only use this once a month on a hunt out west. I plan to go every year but not sure if it will for sure work out or not as life can throw you curve balls. So what if I miss a year going out west to hunt then the next year I go but the year in between my yearly fee lapses, can I still resubscribe ? I under stand I would loose any way points or tracks on the mapping part (not sure if I would use this as I use gaia now on the phone and a gps for back up and would use this as a backup gps too I guess). Or if I really felt I couldnt loose the mapping info I would pay what a year to keep it active? is that the 25 buck fee? Also is it easy to resubscribe if your account lapses?

Im more interested in using this device as a way to stay in touch where I dont have a signal to relieve any anxiety my wife may have with me being out of reach for a few days or more at a time.

This unit seems like a really good idea and sounds like it works great from everything I can find on it on forums. I ordered the SE version and hope to have it thursday so I might have some more questions then! :)