Delta junction Alaska

Looking to do a black bear hunt around the Delay junction area in Alaska. We were schedule to caribou in northwest Alaska and that got shot down with the new regulations in place for non residents. Our transporter offered a black bear hunt in June around the Delta Junction area. Is this something worth considering?

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a bait hunt. Different experience obviously. Spot and stalk would be interesting but unless they know what they are doing (i.e. it's not a last minute thrown together thing) I'm not sure your odds would be great. I don't hear much about non bait hunts around Delta. See more about what they are offering.

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
Luke’s right on the money. I’d want more details and see what the transporters plan is. What dates in June?

OP
F
We haven't discussed dates yet but would most likely be around early June. Was told it would be spot and stalk??

I am sure it would be spot and stalk (GE is a transporter, not a guide), and there are plenty of mountains near Delta that could be good for bear hunting that way. Not sure on Black Bear populations, but they're definitely around.

Could call adfg in delta and talk to them about it. If it is spot and stalk they either drop you higher up in elevation or maybe out on one of the big glacial river beds.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
I've lived here in Delta for 30 years and have seen one black bear in the valley. Too many grizzly bears! We go East 50 miles for black bears or West across the Delta River......any place but here in the valley. Jesse and Jimmy are flying frequently and will know where the bears are. Spot and stalk will require above tree line hunting and there's plenty of that here. Beautiful mountains and glaciers. Good luck!

OP
F
The hunt would be in unit 20D. Anyone familiar with what this hunt would look like? Open terrain or heavily wooded?

VernAK

WKR
The hunt would be in unit 20D. Anyone familiar with what this hunt would look like? Open terrain or heavily wooded?
Take a look at Google Earth and you'll see the valley is heavily timbered on the valley floor along the Tanana River. The timber quickly thins as you go up the Gerstle or Johnson Rivers. Most of the DCUA [delta controlled use area] is open mountainous country. Should you get up this way, I live about a mile past GEO airstrip. Send me a PM.

I'll be hunting bears also but just past the Johnson River and over bait.....

OP
F
can you hunt this area in June? I know legally you can but for non residents would it be worth coming out for a spot and stalk during the month of June?

can you hunt this area in June? I know legally you can but for non residents would it be worth coming out for a spot and stalk during the month of June?
Good excuse to get in the sheep mountains as a non res! I’ve seen a couple blackies in the 20D high country but a fraction of what is in the coastal units. They’re a lot more predictable to find as the snow line is still creeping up the mountain. Better be dumb and tough to hike in from the road to the granite mountains tho..

Depends on what you want.

If you want to kill a bear and see plenty of them I would say no. Go to Canada on a baited hunt with a proven outfit and you will see lots and lots of bears. Bowhunt for the added challenge. I have seen hunts for $2-5K depending where and what is offered. You may be able to drive to some locations.

If you just want an excuse to hike around Alaska then go there. Might see a bear, or not. I would rather go fishing in AK in the summer time than spot and stalk bears though. As mentioned Coastal areas will have a higher density.

jhm2023

WKR
If you can push your timeline to late July - early August when the berries are in, spot and stalk in the mountains would be great. Last August I spotted 9 blacks and 1 grizz and every one of them were stalkable. I won't say where exactly, but it was in the Alaska range above tree line. In June we are shooting the over bait and don't generally see a lot above tree line until the berries are ripe.