Dense Timber in September

Which is the best archery elk strategy during the rut when hunting in dense timber?

• Total voters
Yes, and I need zero fingers to count the number of reply I've gotten from a locator bugle...with the exception of other hunters (I've confirmed with binos)
You must be hunting heavily pressured otc units like the rest of us ;) i wouldnt give up on the locate bugle just yet though. Its a great tool when used in the right place at the right time. Even in pressured areas. Timing is everything. Of course a little luck doesn't hurt either.

Wapiti1

WKR
Yes, and I need zero fingers to count the number of reply I've gotten from a locator bugle...with the exception of other hunters (I've confirmed with binos)
In areas of heavy pressure that seem dead, but I know hold elk, I'll hike in and call at midnight, or two hours before dawn. The hills will light up with bugles sometimes. Next morning, I'll be right where the closest bugle was, and work that area with lost calf mews. Usually after I consult a topo map and SWAG where they are and are bedding. More often than not, I'll get a response from an elk, maybe cow, or bull. Usually soft, but enough that I can use it.

I love thick timber country. It eliminates the road hunters and usually helps with pressure. Any elk that is visible is a gift that keeps everyone else out of my hair.

Jeremy

Gerbdog

WKR
I do all three options, i prefer moving and calling, but it gets difficult to pass up those well used wallows. I had a day this last season sitting on a wallow where i was talking to 3 different bulls around me for hours.... So i kind of applied two of the options together. It was a warm day and figured one of them would come to visit me at any moment.... sadly they waited until last light and then winded me... dang it.... next time im opting for a more aggressive tactic when im in that position.