Desert vs Rocky Mt Mule Deer

505Wapiti

WKR
Let's talk differences in desert vs mountain mule deer.... Feeding, bedding, elevation, tactics, whatever you wish to share for those that have hunted both, and maybe some lessons learned.

Weldor

WKR
Having hunted both, I can say way easier to find in the desert. But here in AZ the mountain hunters might disagree. We don't have the large populations like the northern rocky's.

Man, I've come to love hunting bucks in the desert country. I just find them easier to turn up when you don't have a sea of timber to contend with after they lose their velvet. They also will be much more concentrated around shaded up pockets instead of anywhere. But, the drawback is usually lower densities and hot, crummy conditions for the hunter.

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
I like hunting both, but I love the fact that low country deer don’t usually have large migrations. I feel like scouting the desert is very effective. One negative thing I’ve personally experienced a few times, is in the desert country I’ve been winded from a lot farther distances than I ever have in the middle/ high country.

I like hunting both, but I love the fact that low country deer don’t usually have large migrations. I feel like scouting the desert is very effective. One negative thing I’ve personally experienced a few times, is in the desert country I’ve been winded from a lot farther distances than I ever have in the middle/ high country.

That's a great point. The flip side to that too, is that in low country the thermals aren't as severe, it seems. The steeper the country, the more thermals seem to come into play.

OP
505Wapiti

505Wapiti

WKR
There isn’t a lot that I’ve been able to turn up specifically regarding desert mule deer. There is a ton of content on coues, but seems limited on differences in mule deer. Appreciate the feedback, fellas.

That's a great point. The flip side to that too, is that in low country the thermals aren't as severe, it seems. The steeper the country, the more thermals seem to come into play.
This and what @Pistolpete28 said are so good. I definitely try to hunt desert deer ONLY where and when the thermals and prevailing winds agree, whereas midway up a steep slope in the mountains on a blue bird day seems to be consistent on thermals even when the directionals at the top might be different.