Did it make the jump?

Seems kind of Clickbaitish. Around 350 people get CJD every year in the United States. Seems odd that two of the cases happen at the same lodge.
I have a hard time believing there’s not a lab somewhere that is just feeding a monkey nothing but cooked CWD meat.

OP
Customweld
Seems kind of Clickbaitish. Around 350 people get CJD every year in the United States. Seems odd that two of the cases happen at the same lodge.
I have a hard time believing there’s not a lab somewhere that is just feeding a monkey nothing but cooked CWD meat.
One would think (hope) that every state game agency would be screaming from the rooftops if this was a solid article.

It appears to be just a case study of two people, not an actual research study. I note that in the case study they say the two men regularly ate venison from a CWD-infected deer population, yet we have no proof that the deer they were actually eating had CWD. Given they're geographically close friends who seemingly spent a fair bit of time around each other, I imagine they were exposed to many similar environmental factors apart from just possible CWD deer meat.

I think it was irresponsible for them to say "This study presents a cluster of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) cases after exposure to chronic wasting disease (CWD)-infected deer" in the study's abstract. The researchers provide no proof (or even claim at all in the results section) that they were actually exposed to CWD infected deer. That's an assumption the "researchers" make based on the CWD prevalence in the deer population.

Unless I'm missing some different article where they present real evidence, this just seems like an inexperienced medical student who found a unique situation he could write a case study on to boost his status to get residency or other positions. The lead author is a medical student at UT Health and the person who signed off on this (likely Sarah Horn, the last author) should have made him edit it to be less declarative. The take-home of the paper is "See this unlikely thing that happened? Weird, huh?".

Fowl Play

WKR
I would really say this article has no merit. At least for the time being. Honestly, it is more likely that both hunters had the hereditary form of this disease or ate beef infected with Mad Cow’s disease then the cause of their deaths being from eating CWD infected venison. When something happens you don’t immediately jump to “maybe this thing that has never happened before finally happened” before you rule out the more likely causes. Clickbait, but overall something I am concerned about.

After re-reading it again I'm convinced it's a medical student sensationalizing an odd coincidence to try and look good in either his internship or residency. The person in charge, which is likely Sarah Horn since the senior researcher is normally the last author, shouldn't have let him publish this in its current form. I would never use such definitive phrasing with no real results.

Let's say it's true. How do you kill the disease ? Cooking to a certain temperature ?
I eat the stuff 5 days a week.
It's prions, not a virus. So you'd need to be cooking your meat at 900+ degrees for hours to do anything to it. So cooking temperatures won't do anything to it.

ok, I'd send out every animal for testing before eating it. How do I do that ?
Let's talk about preventative action, rather than disputing neuro articles. That serves no purpose.

Let's talk about preventative action, rather than disputing neuro articles. That serves no purpose.
Disputing sensationalist research absolutely does serve a purpose. A lot of people are going to be concerned because of articles like that, as evidenced by people asking about it on here in multiple threads. As a research scientist, one of the biggest issues that sows distrust in what we do is people sensationalizing things. Normally it's the public relations people at the university but in this case it's the authors themselves.
It varies by state but there should be testing locations in your state as well as a published protocol on how to get your deer tested.

My dad just sent me the article and I hopped on here to share, but saw Customweld's thread. Agree we need much more information. Agree that if true, this is a big deal.

Fordguy

WKR
Presumably, you'd do it the same way that I do. Remove and send the retropharyngeal lymphnodes to a lab for testing.

It’s interesting for sure. CJD is pretty rare..probably not a coincidence that these two guys both died from it. I am not aware of any reason CWD CANT infect a human. Hasnt been proven yet, but it would be fairly difficult and logistically impossible to prove conclusively that it can’t infect humans. My personal belief is that people have probably died from CWD and it is attributed to something else. Not every 60 year old guy that dies gets an autopsy. Lots of small hospitals out there that people die in.

That being said I know I am more likely to die driving to and from hunting, and probably by lightening or a grizz…but I’ll get my deer tested in endemic areas for peace of mind.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
It's prions, not a virus. So you'd need to be cooking your meat at 900+ degrees for hours to do anything to it. So cooking temperatures won't do anything to it.
You could always marinate it in lye! There's gotta be some icelandic dish like that already.