Diesel heater for wall tent?

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
This year was our first year using our wall tent in really cold temps. The wood stove kept us warm but we were constantly having to cut firewood to keep up with the cold temps which took away from our hunting time. I'm contemplating on buying a portable diesel heater to suplement the wood stove. Does anyone use a diesel heater in their tent overnight and if so how is your experience with them compared to just using a wood burning stove? I'm looking at this specific unit. Not overly cheap at 2K Canadian.

https://www.expeditionupfitter.ca/c...table-diesel-heater-44d-12v-high-altitude-4kw

Choupique

WKR
I see the same problem with that as every other thing I've thought up - needs lots of electricity to work.

Pretty sure most folks use the units off Amazon that are only $200 or so. Rumor is they run several nights off a battery pack no problem.

rayporter

WKR
i put a diesel heater in a trailer last year. it is a 2K unit and it works well and sips fuel but i doubt it would heat a tent much.

you should pin them down on how long it will run on that battery!!

i usually use a generator cause i dont trust the battery.

Choupique

WKR
I saw as high as 4.25 amp, 12 volt. I got a calculator at work I can dig out tomorrow to see how long various batteries should last at that load. I'm inclined to think it isn't very long in backcountry camping terms.

Seems a really good wood stove is about as good as can be done, but I have over 100gal of diesel in the truck so using it for heat has always interested me.

Yukon stove - army surplus. Cheap! Just a little rare. Runs on diesel and jet fuel.

I've seen them glow red and hop. Not for idiots to run. Ask a korean war vet.

Just looked it up. M-1941 Wheeling stove. Burns wood, coal, gasoline or diesel. For sale on ebay.

Heated my tent for 30 years.

Couple video’s of the $200 Chinese units. Probably need to spend the same money on a lithium power bank.

Haven’t done this myself, but looked into it a bit. Have friends that have these in their camper vans.

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
PXL_20231103_020215453.jpgSecond year using one and it will cook you out if you want it to. I run mine off of a deep cycle marine battery and keep it charged up with a 100w solar panel. I do have a 1,400 watt harbor freight generator/inverter as a back up that I put a battery trickle tender on if needed. Heater on low 8° c and I believe goes up to 32°c, but I've never slept with it on higher than 12°c. It uses about have a tank of fuel a night on that setting. I can't say exactly how much battery it uses as I ensure it gets charged back up daily by solar or generator.

I have the vevor and believe I got the plateau 5k to handle higher altitude (although I'm not sure it's truly needed).

Djacker

WKR
Check out the Nordic stove from ruralenergy.com. no electricity required. I used one Alaska in September, it cooked us out of our cabin while on low.

Titan

WKR
I have run and set up quite a few. How big is your tent? A single 5kw heater should keep a 12x15 tent 30* above outside tent all night. You are looking at 120w at startup and cooldown, then roughly 30-45watts per hour of normal running. A 1000wh+ power station should last you a few days.

Some units now come with a 120v to 12v inverter. Unless you want to build your own, these units are great. The HCalory toolbox one worked great for us this year. You can use the existing tank for about 24 hours of runtime, or you can buy a cheap standpipe and fuel line to use your own tank. A 5 gallon Jerry can should nearly last a week.

Mattnum

FNG
We use them dead of winter in mineral exploration camps, BC and Yukon. Not sure what make and model but they keep you as you want. No electricity needed as they work on gravity from a drum and simple carburetor. Might be called a Geostove? Deakin used to sell them I think.

OP
aaron600rr

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
I have run and set up quite a few. How big is your tent? A single 5kw heater should keep a 12x15 tent 30* above outside tent all night. You are looking at 120w at startup and cooldown, then roughly 30-45watts per hour of normal running. A 1000wh+ power station should last you a few days.

Some units now come with a 120v to 12v inverter. Unless you want to build your own, these units are great. The HCalory toolbox one worked great for us this year. You can use the existing tank for about 24 hours of runtime, or you can buy a cheap standpipe and fuel line to use your own tank. A 5 gallon Jerry can should nearly last a week.
I was thinking about picking one of these diesel heaters that don't take electricity but don't know much about them. Anyone have experience with these types?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231106_124747_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231106_124747_Chrome.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20231106_124754_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231106_124754_Chrome.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 48

Titan

WKR
I have seen those but never used one. I assumed it was similar to running one of those kerosene shop heaters. You get all the fumes inside. I didn’t want that.

Edit: I see that one has an exhaust stack. So fumes are vented out I assume.

With a diesel heater, the combustion intake and exhaust are outside. Only the heated air comes in. It is amazing at drying out wet clothes.

You can get the heater for $200. Then a 1200wh power station for $300. A whole lot smaller and easier to handle, plus the power station can run whatever else you might need to.

Jim538

FNG
Another consideration is using those pellet logs like duraflame brand logs. Or whatever your local hardware store sell. They burn a lot longer than your standard fire wood. So you could use them during the night if you don’t want to stoke the fire as much.

This is a great option. Easy to use. Durable construction. Relatively small and lightweight.