Difference between Defiance actions

Badseed

WKR
Im looking to build a 6cm rifle for my sons to hunt with. Im not dead set on any particular custom action. The only requirements are that the action accepts prefit barrels, operates reliably for young shooters with less than ideal bolt cycling technique and doesn’t weigh a ton. After taking those needs into account and the costs of actions, I found myself considering a defiance classic action. On the surface, the action is cheap for a custom action and for all intended purposes will check the necessary boxes. Staying within the Defiance lineup, I like the AntiX because it’s a one piece action and a few ounces lighter but also costs about $500 more. Can anyone describe the feel differences between the two actions or opinions if you have shot both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

199p

FNG
Just rebarrel a t3 bro grab a carbon stock and clip the easy ticket

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
The defiance is cheaper than the T3 and the ability or change bolt heads wont matter for this build.

Im not dead set on any particular custom action. The only requirements are that the action accepts prefit barrels, operates reliably for young shooters with less than ideal bolt cycling technique and doesn’t weigh a ton. After taking those needs into account and the costs of actions, I found myself considering a defiance classic action.
I'm going to preface this by saying I do not think that PRS is the end-all-be-all for translating over to hunting. Having said that, the part of a PRS rifle that most translates might be the action because PRS shooters use/abuse their actions more than the vast majority of bolt action shooters. You may or may not find the article below to be helpful since most of the actions in it are heavy tactical actions.

If I cared about weight (I don't so my opinion has very little value) but still wanted the most reliable action I could get, I'd be tempted to go with an Impact NBK. It's 8oz heavier than the Classic which may be a dealbreaker for you but I'm not sure any other custom action manufacturer other than Lone Peak and ARC can touch Impact's reputation for reliability.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Thanks, I have read that article before and I do have a LPA action which works great for me but once again its significantly more expensive than the defiance and I am trying to wrap my head around what “feel” I am sacrificing if I got a cheaper action like the classic, or anti X in this case. Considering that this is intended for my kids shooting a light recoiling 6cm, I was hoping to keep the rifle lightweight for them so an extra 8oz is pretty significant. I tend to prefer the extra ounces in my optics.

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have an anti la and a classic sa with the anti cuts, I’ve only had the classic a few days but the only real big difference is the pinned lug, but as I’m sure you’ve read it takes the same prefits, I’m probably gonna torque the barrel down on it this weekend

Sevens

WKR
Have three Anti and a Classic. No difference in feel, just a difference in features (integral lugs, etc.). The Anti, Anti-X and the Classic all use the same bolt.

Kelbly Atlas Lite or Nanook would be another lightweight option to consider.

wapitibob

WKR
The classic, basically an anti but a pinned lug, same headspace guarantee, and they're less than $800. The anti-x short rail can be problematic.
pucker factor rifles dot com

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
If I was buying an action with it taking prefits from many different gunsmiths available it wouldn’t be a defiance.

Why not?

The classic, basically an anti but a pinned lug, same headspace guarantee, and they're less than $800. The anti-x short rail can be problematic.
pucker factor rifles dot com

What is problematic about the anti-x rail?

Lawnboi

WKR
Why not?

What is problematic about the anti-x rail?

Not as many prefit options as far as vendors/gunsmiths.

Not as many parts available, example; if you want a different or extra bolt it’s going back to defiance.

A rapidly changing line. Last few years defiance has gone through a decent amount of change. I’m not sure I would invest in one for a long term investment.

Considering some of the other players, that everyone makes prefits for, or even a tikka where I can swap bolts, buy prefits ect.

ID_Matt

WKR
What about an Aero Solus? Have not tried one, but they have prefit options and a lot of features for about as cheap as any. Weight might be a draw back, but the $400 savings might allow you to save weight elsewhere?

For me, two reasons. One or both of which aren't as rational as I'd like to say they are.

1. When I think of prefit barrels on a custom action, I instantly think of Impact because they're the ones that popularized prefits on custom R700 actions. They have by far the widest selection of prefits and, even though it's not that relevant, by far the most people in the PRS using prefits with their actions.

2. It's still in my brain that Defiance actions just aren't as reliable in adverse conditions compared to other actions. Years ago that was probably more true, especially with their Deviant line of actions which was famous for being unable to handle grit. These days, especially if the anTi/Classic are hunting oriented actions, I assume they've changed their tolerances for better reliability. But those early years really make my brain exclude them from any consideration for basically any purpose. As irrational as it probably is.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Correct me if I’m wrong but the only Defiance action that would work with prefit barrels is the Ruckus. I still send my Anti X action to my gunsmith when new barrels are getting chambered.

For a hunting rig, I wouldn’t recommend a Ruckus action if weight is a concern . It’s a tank.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the only Defiance action that would work with prefit barrels is the Ruckus. I still send my Anti X action to my gunsmith when new barrels are getting chambered.

For a hunting rig, I wouldn’t recommend a Ruckus action if weight is a concern . It’s a tank.
According to Defiance any prefit for a Ruckus will fit an anTi, anTi X, Classic, or Renegade as well.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
According to Defiance any prefit for a Ruckus will fit an anTi, anTi X, Classic, or Renegade as well.
Interesting. My gunsmith says there is variation in headspace on anti x actions when I asked him if I could ship my barrels to him without it. I’m no machinist so I do what he says.