Differences going from 85% to 75% mods

Got some 75% mods on the way for my Halon 32. Currently the bow has 85% letoff, but I’m planning to hunt CO in September. A couple of questions for those of you who’ve made this or a similar mod swap.

1. Any reason I shouldn’t just swap the mods myself? No press is needed, but never done it before, what could I screw up?

2. What differences will be noticeable (besides the 7lbs at full draw)?

3. Will speed change enough that I’ll need to change sight tapes?

I do the same thing on my Halon 30.
1) you can do it yourself, it is just two Allen screws. One is a little difficult to slide out, but you’ll get it... Make sure before season to re tighten the screws on the mod. I had one come loose and it caused problems.
2) difference will be very noticeable. On paper it doesn’t sound like much, but swap as soon as possible and only shoot the 75s to get used to it. The the entire draw cycle and back wall is a bit different and holding weight is noticeably different if shooting at distance and holding back for an extended period of time. I’ve gotten to where preseason/summer shooting I’ll only shoot with the 75s, then a few weeks before season swap to 85s (if hunting where legal) and it makes it a breeze.
3) I have a halon 5 30 and my FPS gain with 75s was not much, can’t remember exactly but think you would be fine with your sight tape, if anything, it wouldn’t be noticeable until maybe 70 yards. I run a 5 pin 20-60 and had to make no adjustments.

PMcGee

WKR
I switched to the 75 mods for the same reason and just left them on. I find it easier to shoot my hinge with the 75% mods. There’s definitely a noticeable difference between the two. If I get a chance I’ll throw the 85’s back on and see what the difference is at distance. I don’t think it was much if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
sjackson6715
Thank you both, very helpful information. I'll give it a shot swapping them myself. I'm gonna start shooting the 75 mods ASAP to get comfortable now that I know to expect a significantly different feel.

One thing that was kind of weird - I went based on draw length for the mod purchase. Would have expected the same letter in the 75 vs 85. For example I got the C mods in 85% and the D mods in 75%. Thats correct based on you guys experience?

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you both, very helpful information. I'll give it a shot swapping them myself. I'm gonna start shooting the 75 mods ASAP to get comfortable now that I know to expect a significantly different feel.

One thing that was kind of weird - I went based on draw length for the mod purchase. Would have expected the same letter in the 75 vs 85. For example I got the C mods in 85% and the D mods in 75%. Thats correct based on you guys experience?
You are correct. They are not necessarily the same letter. I went fro g to h. I did notice a huge difference In the bow. I run a halon 32 6. I did have to change tapes because speed went up. Didn’t notice the change until about 60 yards. Also the reason I did it is more holding weight helps me float the pin better. One thing I found is the 75 mods won’t go back on unless you remove the draw stop screw before install. Then put it back on after you get the mod replaced. Have fun. For me it was a great change.

PMcGee

WKR
779b784c009989c0bc415a55c0f5a2fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do like my 75% mods on my Halon 32, keeps me honest during the shot to not collapse and keep form. The second you collapse slightly that valley is so small the bow will get away from you. I tried an 85% Prime recently and felt like I could hold it all day, the valley was so big my right arm just had the ability to have so much movement. So yeah positive on form, negative that it is jumpy and if you can't move while the animal comes in that jumpiness could blow the opportunity if you collapse slightly.

kicker338

WKR
As a general rule the higher the letoff the slower the speed but in reality speed loss will be minable . To me valley is a lot more important than letoff.

OP
sjackson6715
Thanks for all the help everyone. My 75% mods came in today. Gonna try to get them on this weekend. I’ll update the thread with the results. I’m hoping that like some have posted I enjoy the 75s enough to where I just leave them on.

Kicker - forgive the ignorance but what do you mean by “valley”? I’ve seen that word a lot as I’ve been getting into the bow stuff some more but I just realized I don’t really know what it means...

stonewall

WKR
valley refers to the let off - after the peak weight rolls over. weight then starts going back up as you pull against the wall (creating a valley)

OP
sjackson6715
I put the 75% mods on the Halon 32 today and wanted to update the thread with my impressions of the process and new feel:

- All the info given above on the mod swap was spot on. It was very easy to do. The 85's came off without the need to remove the draw stop screw, but I had to remove it on the 75s to get them to slide in.
- As per the draw length chart mathews puts out I'm a "C" mod in the 85s and a "D" in the 75s. Draw length feels the same. But when I get to full draw now with the 75s I noticed that the peep was not quite square...would that mean the draw length is slightly different?
-I see what y'all were talking about the valley. with the 75 mods the valley is very narrow. just like was shared above if I got lazy at full draw the bow would try to break forward
-I thought the draw itself was smoother with the 75s and the bow seems to go off quicker when i hit my release
-Holding weight itself didn't seem too terribly different
-I shot the same 14 field targets today as I did yesterday and shot a little bit better today with the 75 mods, hit more x's today
-I did not have to adjust the sight at all (pins and tape are both still right on)

I appreciate all the tips and discussion on this topic - I think I'm going to enjoy the 75 mods once I get used to them.

Holocene

WKR
How are you adjusting to the 75% mods?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the pressure against your bow hand. With 75% mods, the shooter's holding weight is higher and the bow is "jumpier". This has been said and is absolutely true.

With 75% mods, what's also higher (assuming your bow draw weight is constant) is the pressure you are putting into the bow grip. If there were some sort of scale that went between your hand and the grip you'd see a slightly higher number with the 75% mods.

Some bows like heavy pressure into the grip to shoot well. Some like less. So finding the "sweet spot" for bow hand pressure and holding weight is something you'll want to figure out over time and by adjusting through mod % weight and peak bow weak.

The perfect balance is pressure that is not so much that you torque badly upon release and not so light that you don't establish a solid foundation of push/pull (what some call "back tension").

I just put 75% mods in my Ttaverse a couple days ago.

As others have said the difference in the valley....oh boy. I started to collapse and launched an arrow into the wood at the range Haha. With the 85% I feel like you damn near have to push the string to let down. Not the case with the 75%.

Had to turn my bow down a few pounds until I get used to it.

Will take some getting use to for sure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TravisIN

WKR
It’s good people are doing this. I think you’ll all be happy with the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skull10

WKR
I ordered a set of 75% modules for my Halon 32 yesterday. Does anyone notice any arrow speed increase or decrease with these modules?