Digiscoping setup help

jackwagon

FNG
I need some advice on what I need to get some good, fairly high quality images/video and I'm not sure what I should do here... Going to buy a Vortex Razor 85, but I really don't know what I should do as far as a camera/lens configuration. I currently have a Canon T2i with a few prime lenses which I think would work, but I really don't know if I want to be lugging that setup around if I can get a smaller mirror-less DSLR, like a sony A6000 or something similar. What's everyone else running on their Razor 85s? Thanks ahead of time!

iPhone works great. 6S+ has a stabilizing lens. I was working on a setup for a big dslr system but found the phone slope and IPhone to be an awesome combo. I'll see if I can find an old thread to bring up with some pics.

I'm sure that would work great, but a new iPhone for me right now would cost just almost as much as a new camera! Anyone have any experience running that Sony A600 or even a Fuji X-E1?

For video stick with Sony or Panasonic. I would go with a Panasonic G7 and 25MM F1.7 lens. Much more lens choices in the micro four thirds world plus awesome 4K video. The Panasonic APP is great at controlling the camera remotely too. Allot of the best digiscopers use the Panasonic GH4.

I really like large sensor compacts for digiscoping. I have had very good results with the Sony RX100III.

Nikon has introduced a couple models that might be stellar digiscoping cams as well when they are available.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/premium-compact-cameras/premium-compact-cameras.page

Hey BB, what adapter are you using for the Sony? I've been close to buying that camera or the IV and have been looking for digiscoping adapters for it. Thanks.

Nikon p900.. no need for a spotting scope or the attachments. I got to play with one last weekend and it blew my mind. the zoom is outrageous.

Nikon p900.. no need for a spotting scope or the attachments. I got to play with one last weekend and it blew my mind. the zoom is outrageous.

I just looked into it, all I can say is wow. I think you're really on to something with that unit... Do you think it flat out eliminates the need to lug a spotter around?

The Nikon P900 has an impressive, compact lens with eye popping 35mm equivalent focal lengths. However, it still can't reach the effective focal lengths of some digiscoping setups, and (as a general use camera) definitely has a significant IQ disadvantage compared with premium large sensor compacts and M4/3 system cameras.

While it might replace a spotter for some hunters, most will still prefer the extra resolution provided by a spotting scope for observation. I see it as an interesting alternative to digiscoping, though, and hints at upcoming "digital optics."

I've been on the fence about pulling the trigger on a Nikon p900 for a few days, I ended up selling my swaro spotter a few years back as I never used it to glass with and only for pictures, well I missed having a good set up to digiscope and was getting ready to buy a razor 85 then this camera caught my eye and now I'm not sure if I want to go with the camera or a digiscoping set up to photograph coues at Longer ranges

Last edited:
Bitterroot have you heard of the Scope Cam? I'm wondering if that would fit the RX100ii? My camera arrives on Monday

You can run your T2i with the vortex digiscoping adapter kit.
The adapters thread onto the small filter threads that are on the front of your lenses.
Just depends on what lenses you have for that camera.
If you have a macro lens with filter threads, I would use that.

The nice thing about the DSLR over the point and shoots is the ability to control the focus on the DSLR. Flip the switch to manual and this will help with the issue of having two focus mechanisms fighting each other.

You can run your T2i with the vortex digiscoping adapter kit.
The adapters thread onto the small filter threads that are on the front of your lenses.
Just depends on what lenses you have for that camera.
If you have a macro lens with filter threads, I would use that.

The nice thing about the DSLR over the point and shoots is the ability to control the focus on the DSLR. Flip the switch to manual and this will help with the issue of having two focus mechanisms fighting each other.

I have a little canon 40mm pancake lens with filter threads, think that'd work?

Bitterroot have you heard of the Scope Cam? I'm wondering if that would fit the RX100ii? My camera arrives on Monday

If you are referring to Tines Up Scope Cam adapters, yes I have. I use a TinesUp Video Scopecam adpater to fit the eyepiece of the spotter, and screw it on to my home-made PVC adapter with my Sony RX100III.

I have found the opposite. DSLRs force you into manual focus while digiscoping, and it is harder to get critical focus, IME, with this setup. The Contrast autofocus of a point and shoot generally is more reliable for me. I will get the focus close with the scope's focus mechanism, and then find critical focus with the camera's AF. If you are set on using manual focus, you can also set most point and shoots to manual as well.

Back