DIY Lightweight Tent Wood Stove

I am thinking about making a tent wood stove similar to seek outside's box stoves w/ fraction of cost but at the expense of some weight (not titanium).

I came across this video for inspiration:

I plan on using steel rivets, allthread rod, and wingnuts. I will probably end up shelling out for a titanium stove pipe (8' long maybe)

I'm thinking I'll use the material shown below for the stove box.

In the end, this will be something I can use during PA's late flintlock season on public land. Does anyone have a lightweight diy tent stove design they like? A lot of the budget designs I have come across do not seem lightweight(eg. ammo can stove, any stove with a glass door, cast iron).
1000004565.jpg

valtteri

FNG
I made a prototype box stove box when I was looking into a big stove for my SO 16 man tipi. I looked at videos of the SO box stove and how it was designed to be assembled.

Then I made the prototype out of sheet metal with a sheet metal brake. You could also just use a hammer and a dolly / bench vise instead of the brake. Used threaded rods and wing nuts for legs/assembly.

While the prototype stove box would have been fully functional, assembling it was not great. It was too hard and finicky indoors and with no gloves on, so I deemed it too hard to carry out in freezing temps in the field.

The lips in each piece that SO incorporates in their design increases the usability immensely. The pieces just slide in together and assembly in the field is very easy.

At the time I didn't have access to welding equipment so I gave up trying to build the lips into the pieces. At that point I had invested a couple of hours into the prototype, using sheet metal I had laying around. I then simply ordered a SO Big Mama stove since I realised how big of a deal the actual design and ease of assembly is. If I hadn't been planning on taking the stove apart/assembling it, I would have just spot welded the pieces together and called it done. But since I wanted to be able to take it apart for putting in the sled/pulk, ease of assembly became a really big factor.

That being said, a box stove is just that, a simple box with a door opening and a hole for the damper/pipe. I say go for it, and if you are going to be assembling it in the field, pay attention to ease-of-assembly in your design.

Here's a couple of photos of the early stages of the box prototype:

IMG_5459.JPG

IMG_5462 1.jpg
IMG_5464 1.jpg

I made a prototype box stove box when I was looking into a big stove for my SO 16 man tipi. I looked at videos of the SO box stove and how it was designed to be assembled.

Then I made the prototype out of sheet metal with a sheet metal brake. You could also just use a hammer and a dolly / bench vise instead of the brake. Used threaded rods and wing nuts for legs/assembly.

While the prototype stove box would have been fully functional, assembling it was not great. It was too hard and finicky indoors and with no gloves on, so I deemed it too hard to carry out in freezing temps in the field.

The lips in each piece that SO incorporates in their design increases the usability immensely. The pieces just slide in together and assembly in the field is very easy.

At the time I didn't have access to welding equipment so I gave up trying to build the lips into the pieces. At that point I had invested a couple of hours into the prototype, using sheet metal I had laying around. I then simply ordered a SO Big Mama stove since I realised how big of a deal the actual design and ease of assembly is. If I hadn't been planning on taking the stove apart/assembling it, I would have just spot welded the pieces together and called it done. But since I wanted to be able to take it apart for putting in the sled/pulk, ease of assembly became a really big factor.

That being said, a box stove is just that, a simple box with a door opening and a hole for the damper/pipe. I say go for it, and if you are going to be assembling it in the field, pay attention to ease-of-assembly in your design.

Here's a couple of photos of the early stages of the box prototype:

View attachment 618013

View attachment 618014
View attachment 618015

Thinking of attempting this myself. What gauge steel did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valtteri

FNG
Thinking of attempting this myself. What gauge steel did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used 22 gauge / 0.7mm as that was what I had laying around. I do think it was a good thickness, a good balance between rigidity and ease of working with