Do it All: Cimmaron, Sawtooth, Redcliff, 6P Tipi

TygerJ

FNG
Anyone have firsthand experience with the Kuiu Summit Refuge 3P?

Looking as an option that can be used for both summer camping with wife and dog, then be used during the fall for CO mountain hunting (archery-later rifle seasons) for 2 guys backpacking.

For those that know more about it, do you think this is a reasonable kit for such uses?

How’s its durability, usability, quality of pieces, size, weatherproof-ness, etc?

Other options I’m considering are a Seek Outside Cimmaron or Kifaru Sawtooth. Both of these options seem comparable in terms of relative size and ability to use stove...but are decently more expensive.

Please share your thoughts. Good and bad.

Thanks!

Cody_W

WKR
I run a Cimmaron and love it for 2 people and a stove. Can’t comment on the others, except they’re all great quality I’m sure.

Last edited:

jolemons

WKR
I run the summit refuge, but i helped crowd fund it, so got a good deal on the shelter. Imo, it isn't worth full retail price, but if you can get a deal, it'll fit the bill for your intended uses.

It's good for 3+ season use. I like it for solo hunting. It won't be a palace for 2 guys with gear, but would work.

If purchasing a new full priced shelter, I'd look at the sawtooth or cimarron.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I just bought a sawtooth, it will have lots of room for 2 and gear with a stove, and you can stand in the one end.

JNDEER

WKR
For the kuiu. If you run it floorless or just with the footprint you can fit two people and gear. Include a dog could be tight- but no stove option if you have a dog. Two people gear and stove would be ok- just a tad tight. Only in the rain storm once with no leak or issues. Wind storm once and it held up. Stove jack is not the best fitting with their design- works but I think other shelters with actual permanent jack could be better- but I only have the kuiu.

reaper

WKR
Sawtooth pack down small,one entry,removable screen door,liners option,i really like it.Not impress about snow loads but hold on really good in high winds.
6e0268975cbc665ee14e0343088e1af5.jpg
11cab85d0324cc6e4161b1ff3abd053a.jpg
076b182e3e9989c84d2143ea1bdac120.jpg
002891166921598cf68e2bb36af2c38a.jpg
e502adf84c52ca088b016e195f3915e0.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Thanks for all the input thus far on this thread.

I’ve really gotten into a research frenzy the last week as I’ve looked into options and have tried to educate myself.

I really like the concept of these floorless tipi/shelters. Seem lightweight for the amount of space you get, they’re modular to your needs (nests, liners, stove, etc), and still maintain great protection from the weather.

It seems that for not huge increases in weight, you can get the next size up. My original post mentioned Cimmaron and Sawtooth as my main options I was considering, but now I’m also seriously considering a SO Redcliff or a 6p tipi.

Looking for that unicorn that’s plenty of space for 2-3 people with stove for cold weather, more space without a stove in nicer weather, but not too heavy to pack solo if needed.

So many options and trade offs...hard to decide what to pick.

rj2

WKR
I was going through this for awhile too, and finally went with a redcliff light. I will probably pick something else up for solo like a hexpeak or silvertip, but for 2-3 people, this should be great.

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
I was going through this for awhile too, and finally went with a redcliff light. I will probably pick something else up for solo like a hexpeak or silvertip, but for 2-3 people, this should be great.

Do you think the trade off of going for the “light” version with only one door was worth the savings in weight?

rj2

WKR
Do you think the trade off of going for the “light” version with only one door was worth the savings in weight?

I'm always looking for ways to be lighter and losing a door is an easy one. Weight is always a major factor when I'm researching/deciding. At this point, my skin out weight with 7 days food, 2L water, Redcliff Light, Bow, Optics, etc. is only around 50lbs.