Do nocks stretch or have a shelf life?

Do nocks stretch as they get lots of shots through them? Tonight while re fletching 4 arrows three fit my bitz jig loosely or without resistance anyways. One fit snug. All nocks were the same but I think one was replaced recently when I damaged one so it is newer than the rest. None are damaged in question.

The replacement nock is not one my mystery nocks that I had a previous thread about. I bought a pack of replacement GT nocks a couple weeks ago from Lancaster.

Last edited:
OP
fulldraw71
They do wear out. No way to say how many shots. The fit of the throat on the string and the neck in the arrow will both loosen up. I switch out every year.
Good to know. In the past I’ve never changed nocks until they got physically damaged. Maybe I need to adjust how I do things. I don’t know if these are ready yet but I’ll keep a better eye on things

Yeah, if you shoot a lot, changing out is a cheap insurance. GT nocks are also a little soft so switching out may help a bit too.

If nock fit seems at all different, I kick them out. I had one the other day that snapped on a little easy, hooked up to my d loop and then unhooked and decided to investigate a little

Pulled the nock back off the string, and half of it stayed on the string… barely sounded different going on, the resistance going on felt normal so I didn’t think too much of it, but I’m glad I stopped to check

I have seen how critical nock fit can be with my recurves while tuning, that alone is worth ditching any questionable nocks

nphunter

WKR
If one fits weird and the rest or good toss it. I've never had nocks wear to the point where I needed to replace a whole set of them. If all of them are getting loose it's probably serving wear and not the nocks. No need to replace them just to replace them.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
They for sure do I’ve noticed they do even faster the more weight you pull they don’t last very long on my 81 pound bows but last much longer on my 73 pound bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, I swap them out periodically and if one fits too tightly or loosely I toss it. Had one the other day that was a bit tight. SHot it anyway and it was a foot high and right at 50 yards. Tossed that nock immediately. Im a bit anal but I even try to make sure the color is the same.

jimh406

WKR
They wear out, stretch, and can vary from lot to lot even with the same manufacturer. I test them on my string before adding them to an arrow.

Other than that, gripping a bit tighter or looser can effect how they group with other arrows.

If you are having issues, then the best thing to do is replace the nocks.