Does it interest people - international hunting?

I can hunt every animal in my state twice and it will still cost less than a trip to Australia or New Zealand. Both would be a good time I'm sure but hunting out of state doesn't interest me let alone out of my country.

I don't have anything against either place, I just know that I'm not consistent enough at taking game here to want to go elsewhere to hunt.

slvrslngr

WKR
That's fair except about price of guided hunts. I've looked into them in the states and they're far dearer. Most hunts in australia for red, fallow, rusa, chital and sambar are between $2500-4000 inclusive. Which is less with your dollar conversion.

I look at the states and you're talking $5-6k for most western hunts, plus tags and tips. And then add on more for our dollar. I had a look at the Montana combo tag for deer and elk and converted to aussie dollars it was around $1500 just for the tag!

The aussie norm is 4 weeks leave a year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As stated, it's a lot about cost. Most guys aren't going to pay $2500-4000 plus a trophy fee, plus airfare, plus on the ground costs, not to mention a 2 day trip just to get in country, to shoot a deer. And I think that guided hunts are outrageous here as well! You have to realize that the vast majority of US hunters are DIY, one week a year type of guys. The interest to hunt overseas is there, but is an unrealized dream for most.

As far as time off is concerned, it can take years for us to build up more than a few weeks of leave.

Time and money mate, time and money.

OP
JPHuntingAUS

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
As stated, it's a lot about cost. Most guys aren't going to pay $2500-4000 plus a trophy fee, plus airfare, plus on the ground costs, not to mention a 2 day trip just to get in country, to shoot a deer. And I think that guided hunts are outrageous here as well! You have to realize that the vast majority of US hunters are DIY, one week a year type of guys. The interest to hunt overseas is there, but is an unrealized dream for most.

As far as time off is concerned, it can take years for us to build up more than a few weeks of leave.

Time and money mate, time and money.
That was money inclusive of trophy fee, Australia is the same I think probably more so than the states from what I've seen being a diy hunting country.

My point of this thread wasn't to argue whether getting to Australia was hard or not it was meant for the people that do and why sambar don't seem to be on the radar once down here. It's just a curiosity.

What I've gathered is that people don't know they exist or don't know what hunting them is like.

jwb300

WKR
A little off base from what everyone's thoughts are, but has anyone hunted or considered hunting Kamchatka for Sheep?

I looked pretty seriously at it this year. I ended up booking Kyrg for Ibex but Snow sheep is on my bucket list. If you want the details I sourced send me a pm with your email and I'll flick them through. You need to do your homework - I've heard a few horror stories from Snow Sheep hunts and seen a few pretty immature sheep taken. In saying that they would have to be one of the most impressive and affordable sheep species to hunt outside of Aoudad.

jwb300

WKR
Boiled down, 2 issues, time and money. Compared to Aussies, Americans get much less time off and the cost of guided hunts is outrageous there. If Americans hunt out of the US spending their time and money, most want something more exotic and with a better success rate. Not only that, most Americans are rifle hunters and can't bring their favorite gun to Australia unless on a fully outfitted hunt, unlike New Zealand. I'll also add that the logistics of planning and executing a DIY hunt from the States is very daunting. I'd love to go hunt sambar, but it all boils down to time and money.

Pretty much bang on I reckon

Sodbuster

WKR
Got a set of Sambar Stag side plates on one of my Hoyt Bows. Beautiful.

JPHuntingAUS
My point of this thread wasn't to argue whether getting to Australia was hard or not it was meant for the people that do and why sambar don't seem to be on the radar once down here
What I've gathered is that people don't know they exist or don't know what hunting them is like.

Four things.Time,money,effort, and the species has not gotten the glamorous publicity.
A majority of American hunters can't take that length of time away from family,jobs,etc.
Money used for a trip to Australia would be better spent on several hunts in more familiar spaces here in the states.
Part of the adventure in international hunting is the travel.Lots of details to double and triple check.

I am lucky enough to get to hang out in Alaska about whenever I want.Hunted Africa and Asia too.
Been in groups of guys talking hunting and heard things like"they have no desire to hunt out of state let alone out of the country."

Sold a compound bow to an Australian hunter a few years ago. We conversed about what you guys had going on over there and it sounded like a lot of fun.A variety of wildlife to hunt that we never even think about here. My wife was afraid that is I ended up down there I would not come home.

slvrslngr

WKR
That was money inclusive of trophy fee, Australia is the same I think probably more so than the states from what I've seen being a diy hunting country.

My point of this thread wasn't to argue whether getting to Australia was hard or not it was meant for the people that do and why sambar don't seem to be on the radar once down here. It's just a curiosity.

No worries, I'm not trying to start an argument either. Just trying to explain why us Yanks don't come down there to hunt. And yes, you're correct, most Americans don't know that sambar exist or how to hunt them or that they can be hunted in Australia (as well as other places).

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
A little off base from what everyone's thoughts are, but has anyone hunted or considered hunting Kamchatka for Sheep?

That was along my exact lines of thinking for Russia. Cost and time prohibitive for me at the present time.

blackdawg

WKR
I think if someone pointed out the hotspots and a few gps coordinates to virtually guarantee success quite a few Americans would jump on it, the chance for another hero shot on social media couldn't be passed up by some of the great sports lurking this country. Truthfully it's all in the marketing for the species. In the U.S., we have t.v., sport shows,outfitters associations and even individual states selling the dream to come hunt for the trophies that inhabit their states. I suspect most of the New Zealand and African hunts rely on strong marketing to get a presence amidst the incredible array of hunting opportunities that exist. Most of the guys here, myself included probably wouldn't know where to start once we hit the ground over there, can you tell us more about the adventure and kindle the fire?

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm absolutely interested in international hunting. I'm not sure if Mexico or Canada "qualifies", I've hunted in both of those countries, but in my lifetime I plan on trekking to: South Africa/Mozambique, Kyrgyzstan, and New Zealand/Australia. I grew up hunting wild hogs with dogs and would love to be able to get that experience in Australia as well.

JP100

WKR
Sambar have never been big on the international scene and probably never will be much more than they are.

1) They are hard to hunt! for guides to run successful outfits they need close to 100% success or at least good opportunity. Is this possible in lets say 5 days? on a good mature animal? Maybe with hounds?

2) they aint all that impressive trophies. Dont get me wrong here a Sambar stag is a beast, but for people who dont know them or their terrain and habits they dont look all that exciting. Quite a few species that are epic hunts and really cool animals to hunt but dont seem all that 'impressive'.

International hunting is pretty crazy how some animals are worth alot and some not so much. I have guided on outfits where sheep are $48,000 and Mt Goats are $7000. These hunts are pretty much the same hunt yet the cost is hugely different and so is the demand. Is a Sheep a 'better' trophy than a Mt Goat??

I get alot of bookings for Tahr but hardly any for pure Chamois hunts. Why? Chamois are just as good a 'trophy' from my view but they not seen in the same view as Tahr(in North America, Europe is the other way around). I have had guys on Tahr and Chamois combos shot their Tahr and not even bother hunting Chamois.
Why are 'Red Stags" so famous? all about marketing and making a big trophy thats easy to hunt.

Maybe you need to make only 10 sambar 'tags' a year and make a 'Grand Slam Sambar club' and give out gold stickers to people who shoot them haha, worked for sheep!

Alot of guys here lumping NZ and Aus together, we are separate countries! with very different hunting.

OP
JPHuntingAUS

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Sambar have never been big on the international scene and probably never will be much more than they are.

1) They are hard to hunt! for guides to run successful outfits they need close to 100% success or at least good opportunity. Is this possible in lets say 5 days? on a good mature animal? Maybe with hounds?

2) they aint all that impressive trophies. Dont get me wrong here a Sambar stag is a beast, but for people who dont know them or their terrain and habits they dont look all that exciting. Quite a few species that are epic hunts and really cool animals to hunt but dont seem all that 'impressive'.

International hunting is pretty crazy how some animals are worth alot and some not so much. I have guided on outfits where sheep are $48,000 and Mt Goats are $7000. These hunts are pretty much the same hunt yet the cost is hugely different and so is the demand. Is a Sheep a 'better' trophy than a Mt Goat??

I get alot of bookings for Tahr but hardly any for pure Chamois hunts. Why? Chamois are just as good a 'trophy' from my view but they not seen in the same view as Tahr(in North America, Europe is the other way around). I have had guys on Tahr and Chamois combos shot their Tahr and not even bother hunting Chamois.
Why are 'Red Stags" so famous? all about marketing and making a big trophy thats easy to hunt.

Maybe you need to make only 10 sambar 'tags' a year and make a 'Grand Slam Sambar club' and give out gold stickers to people who shoot them haha, worked for sheep!

Alot of guys here lumping NZ and Aus together, we are separate countries! with very different hunting.
Yeh I'd agree with all that.

You'll need to bring that open sights 3 oh to Australia chasing the king browns someday!

vanish

WKR
The only catch if you'd call it that non residents have to hunt under the supervision of an Aussie hunter which just means you need to befriens and aussie (if you like to drink beer you'll be set).

I did quite a bit of research on hunting AUS. I actually found the costs NOT to be a huge factor, since one can hunt multiple species and you don't have to buy a tag. I priced airfare at $1200 several times, and a Montana Deer/Elk combo NR tag costs about $1080 ~~ not terribly different, and for ME, I'd rather hunt something I cannot hunt in my home state of CO.

However, the above would be a big no-go for me. There's no way I could take the chance on finding someone local to head to the hills with me unless I had more time than a care, and few Americans do. I've only taken two consecutive weeks off in my life, and that was for my honeymoon to NZ.

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider

I only lump NZ and Aus together because I would be doing both countries in the same trip. I wouldn't make that flight more than once probably. Just like South Africa and Mozambique, I would do those together as a joint trip. I have a "bucket list" of hunts or animals I want to harvest in my lifetime. I plan to run through those before I try to revisit anywhere, except Alaska because of the multitude of species I'd like to take and drawing odds.

goose21

FNG
I have just started saving money for international trips. I think its a great way to see the world and make some awesome adventures. It's amazing what one can save when you put your mind to it. So far I have done South Africa and New Zealand, but will venture to Kyrgyzstan next year for Ibex. I am lucky to have a wife that likes to travel also